Short Stories 5.4

Christian’s voice sounded familiar to Bina.

Amarince asked him, “Christian! Tell me the truth. Do you know how shocked I was when I saw you during the performance?”

Amarince’s speaking voice was just as lovely as her singing voice.

‘W, wow! Such a great voice.’

Bina thought secretly.

Bina was her biggest fan and she felt excited at seeing her favorite star outside of the show.

Christian smiled and finally took his mask off. When Bina saw his face, she gaped in shock.

‘Roberto des Lonensia?!’

Lucretius also seemed surprised as if he recognized the man.

The most popular composer in the kingdom was the second son of the Duke of Lonensia?

This was sensational news. Artists were popular among the public, but it was considered a lowly work; therefore, the noble families rarely allowed their children to pursue this field. It was no wonder Roberto wanted to keep this a secret, but…

At this surprising turn of event, Lucretius and Bina didn’t know how to react. They stopped paying attention to their surroundings, and this was when Roberto looked around and spotted them.

“…”

“…”

“…”

Three people locked eyes and an awkward silence fell. Amarince noticed something odd with Roberto and looked where he was staring at to find Bina and Lucretius hiding.

“…!”

She seemed truly shocked and disturbed.

Bina started to sweat again uncomfortably. She felt thankful that she was still wearing her mask.

‘It would have been so embarrassing if people found out the emperor and the empress like to eavesdrop on people!’

However, her relief was short-lived as Roberto approached them and kneeled in front of them.

“Greetings from Roberto des Lonensia to the ruler of Krugadia, Orlean, and North Santus the great emperor of Cransia. Greetings to the most respected empress.”

Bina thought with a shudder.

‘Dammit!’

She couldn’t understand how he figured it out; when they were still at the masquerade, people didn’t recognize her or Lucretius. How did he know then?

Thankfully, Lucretius reacted fast and smoothly.

Luc took off his mask to reveal his beautiful face. He nodded stiffly at Roberto and replied, “We’ve never met, Roberto des Lonensia.”

“It is my honor to meet you, your highness.”

Lucretius replied regally, “I remember you because Cornelius used to worry about you when he was still alive.”

Lucretius and Roberto acted as if nothing was amiss. Luc, especially, acted like nothing happened, as if he wasn’t just caught eavesdropping.

Bina realized what his plan was.

‘Oh, he’s going to act brazenly!’

Well, it made sense. Social status meant everything in this world, and Lucretius was at the top of the food chain. He firmly believed in using everything he had to his advantage.

Bina quickly changed her attitude as well to match that of her husband. She took her mask off and smiled like a true empress.

“Oh my, I didn’t expect to see you here, Roberto.”