Forty

The dowager empress was most likely preparing her move against the emperor, and there was a very good chance I could be her next target.

I was the weakest link and harming me would damage the emperor a great deal. In addition, the last attack on her was in my name as I was supposedly poisoned by her people. It was likely she would get back at me for being a major part of that plot.

This meant it would be useful for me to have a clear target the dowager empress would want to use against me.

The best option was to have my own spy planted in her group, but it was impossible. My influence in this castle was weak at best, and I couldn’t think of anyone who would risk their lives for me. Besides, the dowager empress was a formidable enemy. It wouldn’t be easy to plant someone without having her become suspicious.

That meant that there was only one option.

To have someone beside me who is very likely to be bought and used by the dowager empress.

Lisbeth could be that person. I felt confident she would be an easy person to control.

I didn’t have to explain anything to Lucretius. He understood my plan quickly.

“So you mean to test them.”

“Possibly…”

I gave him a vague answer.

What he said was accurate, but I didn’t want to admit out loud that I was doing exactly what Lucretius did and continue to do to me.

Unfortunately, I learned a lot from this guy.

He grinned at me and commented, “So I was right about you. You are not a nice person.”

I wanted to throw something at his handsome face.

He continued, “You are hoping they will destroy themselves so you don’t have to dirty your hands. You know very well the dowager empress won’t change, which means it’s her turn to attack us. You will just have to be careful your little plan doesn’t look too obvious.”

“…”

I couldn’t deny it. He was right about everything.

He looked at my pouting face and smiled in satisfaction.

“I think I like that about you.”

“…”

Whatever.

Like I cared what he thought about me.

I continued to stay quiet while he looked at me. He called for a servant to take away the empty wine glasses and bring in the tea set.

Hot tea was brewed freshly and poured into our cups.

Lucretius asked, “So give me the specifics of your plan.”

“I will have Lisbeth as my new maid.”

His face became rigid.

“And I will get Orlean back so she can be Lisbeth’s servant. This will make both of them happy.”

The emperor asked me quietly, “You… you realize that is a very dangerous move, right?”

“I know, but I need to take risks if I want to win. I will be very careful. Lisbeth will be surrounded by Samantha, Agnes, Elza, and Luis. I doubt Lisbeth will be able to do something crazy to me while being monitored so closely by everyone. She isn’t that smart.”

Lucretius looked unconvinced.

I continued to explain, “The news of my ill-treatment of Lisbeth will spread like wildfire. The dowager empress will become interested in her quickly.”