Eighty Five

The atmosphere tensed suddenly. Everyone froze.

I knew what my words meant. If what I said was true, it meant Lucretius was interested in Yulia. This would make her a strong candidate to become the emperor’s next wife.

Some looked delighted while others looked angry. Countess Ilan was the happiest. The Genoan siblings’ faces darkened in fury. They glared at me.

What surprised me was the way Yulia looked.

I expected her to look thankful, just as any noble lady would. It was a chance to become royalty.

However, Yulia looked pale. It definitely was not the face of a happy young girl.

Meanwhile, Lucretius… I purposely turned away from him. I didn’t want to see his face.

It wouldn’t have mattered if he looked interested or angry. Either way, I was afraid to see it.

I wanted Lucretius and Yulia to start dancing right away, so I could leave. I was surprised at Yulia’s reaction, but this had to happen.

Before I could say another word, a large hand grabbed my shoulder. His deep voice announced firmly.

“… I believe my wife is feeling unwell.”

What was he talking about?

I raised my voice in protest.

“I…!”

Just then my eyes met his and I couldn’t speak.

I forgot what I was going to say.

It was brief, but the way he looked at me was… shockingly cold.

He was furious and…

He looked disappointed.

Lucretius quickly took my hand and pulled me towards him.

“Oh!”

Lucretius looked around and stopped at the chancellor.

Lucretius said to him, “My wife seems to be feeling unwell. I will take her out for a quick break.”

The chancellor looked confused but agreed with the emperor.

“Of course. Please take as much time as you need.”

I felt frustrated. My plan would be ruined.

I had to get a good woman for Lucretius and find my way back home. This would be a perfect plan.

I started to feel angry at Lucretius. We were in public and he was embarrassing me. Why couldn’t he just go along with it!?

I had to make this work.

“W, wait…!”

I almost yelled at him but remembered where I was. When Lucretius pulled me, I tried again.

“Y, your highness, I…!”

Lucretius looked at me again, and I lost my train of thoughts. His green eyes looked enraged.

He must have realized that I wouldn’t go with him easily. He let go of my hand and instead, he lifted me up.

“Gya!”

Lucretius announced simply.

“My wife is feeling dizzy. She was also talking nonsense just now. I think she really needs to rest. Have fun.”

***

“What do you think you’re doing!”

He held me tight and continued to walk.