Nine

A sketch artist was brought in.

I explained, “Yes, but a thinner face. A mole on the lower left cheek. Yes, that’s right. He had more wrinkles on his forehead.”

I described the face of my high school teacher from Korea, Bong Manshik. The artist was very good. The final product had a decent resemblance to my old teacher.

I nodded in satisfaction.

“Yes, that’s him. His height was… a little shorter than the emperor and his waist was a bit thicker than that of the chancellor.”

The emperor said as if he was impressed, but I knew he was being sarcastic, “You have such a great memory.”

“You’re too kind. The former emperor is probably helping me even in his death.”

“Thank gods you are safe, my lady. We are very lucky to have you give us such important clues for this unfortunate mystery.”

I smiled blankly. This profile sketch will be sent everywhere in this world. I’m sorry, teacher Manshik, but I’m sure you understand. You took by bread once, and I think this will make us even now.

I hated my teacher when I was at school, but now I missed him. Especially since I was in this horrible situation.

They will never be able to find a man that looked like the sketch unless they went to my world and visited Seoul, Korea. Of course, this was not possible.

I fulfilled my part of the bargain.

I turned to him and looked at him straight in the eyes.

It’s your turn now.

The Emperor picked up the sketch and smiled oddly.

Oh, it was that same smile. The same cruel cold smile I saw in that bedroom. Like a snake.

Did I make the wrong choice?

There was nothing I could do now though. It was done.

The emperor put on the nice-guy expression again. He handed the sketch back to the artist and he walked towards me. He kissed the back of my hand. His lips felt cold against my skin.

My hand trembled. He felt it too.

He looked up at me. His expression was sharp and cold again. It was as if he had two different faces and he had full control over which face he wore. One was that of a generous upstanding young man who grieved over his father’s death. The other was the cold killer who murdered his own father.

He would have been an amazing actor if he was born in my world. Especially since he was so hot.

“I would like to thank you from the bottom of my heart. Without your courage, I don’t know what we would have done to avenge my father.”

“…I was only doing my duty.”

My lips felt dry. What will happen now?

He stared at me with a grin. It was an ugly smile.

This was the real him. A cold snake. A murderer.

I was his accomplice.

The emperor called out loudly, “Scribe!”

“Yes!”

A man who was waiting nearby hurried towards us. He brought with him a pen, a piece of paper, and he waited.

The emperor continued to stare at me and put on his fake kind-hearted face. He then announced.

“I appoint lady Sa Bina Des Bonafit as my first wife.”