One Hundred Twenty Seven

The priestess sent a summary of the records kept by the duke. I didn’t care about the love story between the Duke of Aeal and Yoonyoung a few generations ago. What I wanted to know was about the ‘gate’ that could lead to my own world.

It seemed that this gate did appear multiple times in the past on the nights of the full moon. Yoonyoung jumped into the gate and disappeared, but the problem was that it was impossible to know for sure if it led back to modern-day Korea. It was also uncertain whether it was safe to go through it. The letter did state that four out of six people were found dead in the forest, which meant there was a little over 30% chance of safety.

However… I couldn’t stop my hope reforming.

I might be able to go back home.

Home to my family.

It might be possible.

The night was getting dark, but I couldn’t sleep.

It was the longest night of my life.

***

The next morning, Lucretius came to my room for breakfast.

I said to him, who was sitting across the table, “I want to visit the colony Bilenae for a while.”

Lucretius was spreading marmalade on a piece of white bread when he looked confused.

“Bilenae? Why?”

I answered casually, “Even if it’s only in name, if I become the Duchess of Bilenae, it will be my land. I want to at least have a look for myself.”

Lucretius didn’t seem to understand. “But you spent a year there.”

“At that time, I was so busy learning the new language and the culture that I had no time to really see the land. And… I want to go there to get closure.”

“…”

Lucretius studied me quietly. My face was blank so there was no way he could have read my dilemma from last night.

When I continued to look at him innocently, Lucretius nodded in surrender.

“Alright. I suppose the recent changes in its name and owner warrant a visit.”

“Thank you.”

However, before I could say anything else, Lucretius added quickly.

“And I will go with you.”

“…”

When I remained quiet, he smiled innocently and asked, “Why? Is there a reason why I can’t go with you?”

I smiled and shook my head. “No, not at all.”

So our very first outing was decided.

We were to visit my newly named land Bilenae.

***

The chancellor was upset about our travel. He was getting a significant amount of help from me with work, so without me, he would have to take on everything again. However, once we returned, Lucretius would be back to work, so I knew the chancellor would be fine.

The trip was surprisingly smooth. The road was clear and the servants were skilled. Everywhere we stopped by, we were greeted with an amazing respect.

It was so different from when I was dragged to Cransia with Orlean. The carriage was even different. The one we were riding presently was much bigger and more comfortable.

I remembered vomiting on Orlean’s dress on purpose. Orlean, Lisbeth, and her family were all dead now.

I smiled.