~ Chapter Thirty Six ~

~ (y/n)'s POV ~

After Malro and his family left our house, I turned back around and started to run back to our house. When I saw that Shoto was no longer in the doorway, I looked confused and headed over to Natsuo who was looking through the door  with worry and confusion.

"Hey, what happened to Shoto? He seemed to be having a better time after he and Marlo talked." I asked, trying to get the inside scoop of what went down.

He just shrugged and looked at me, "I don't know to be honest." He admitted, "After I mentioned that he had made himself a new friend, his face dropped, and he headed upstairs with this glum expression. I don't know, maybe his social battery ran out or something?" He inquired, running his fingers through his hair, "But, if I'm being honest with myself, I think I might've struck a nerve with him. I don't know how or when, but I think I said something that pushed him over the edge." He sighed.

I knew I shouldn't feel bad for him after all he did to me, but part of me couldn't help but feel an underling sense of guilt. I sighed and made my way inside and up the stairs to our bedroom. The door was shut, so I took a deep breath and turned the knob as slowly as I could, trying to make as little sound as possible to try and not startle him.

I peeked my head through the crack in the door and saw that Shoto was tucked in his covers which made me feel a bit relived until I noticed that he was shivering. I started to wonder if he had gotten cold, and I started to creep into the room without making a noise, that was until I stepped on the only creaky floor board in this house. I gasped and quicken removed my foot from the board and stumbled back.

I took a deep breath and  took a large step over the board and made my way over to Shoto's bed. I now could clearly see that he was shaking, but he was all bundled up in his covers, so I don't see what's the problem! I was about to walk away when I noticed that his bangs were covering that majority of his face.

My nose crinkled in amusement, 'Jesus! This dude needs a hair cut!' I thought to myself, gently removing the stray strands of hair out of his face and tucked it behind his ear.

My eyes went round when I noticed that there under the clumps of hair, were streams of dried tears cascading down his cheeks. My hand hovered above his head in shock. Was he crying just now? Natsuo must've said something that really got to his nerves. I know I should care, but this probably has nothing to do with me anyway, so why meddle somewhere I shouldn't be meddling.

I debated for a minute of two whether to wake him up, or just let him sleep, but I ended up just wiped the dried tears with my finger and I went over by my closet and pulled out some pajamas and fanned out my folding screen and quickly got changed. I went to the bathroom and brushed my teeth and detangled my hair before heading back to my room, my eyes feeling heavy.

Once I clicked the door shut, I made it to my bed and got tucked in before I felt my self fade into what seemed to be an endless dream.

Well...

Could I actually call it a dream?

I woke up with a jolt, covered in a layer of cold sweat, trickling down my face. My breathing was shallow and heavy, and I couldn't bring myself to blink. There was a warm towel plastered to my forehead, that someone must've placed on me while I was sleeping.

I peeled it off of my my face and examined the simple white cloth while looking over to Shoto. He was still sound asleep, back faced toward me. It couldn't've been him, he's to dense to even know if someone is having a nightmare, and plus, he sleeps through everything,

I tossed the sweat soaked towel on the floor and started to anxiously know on my thumbnail as the nightmare started to flood back to me. The dream only happened for me in bits and pieces, but it was still terrifying nonetheless.