Chapter 20

"What did you want to tell me, Alex...?", she asked in a quiet voice that was only audible enough for him to hear since he was so close next to her.

He let go of her hand.

'Here it comes.'

"Zoey...I would break off whatever we have. You will also be a free bird because I ended the blackmailing, all pictures of you being "The Knight Owl"....is gone. From now on, we are strangers.", he said as he tried to keep a monotone voice.

"Please answer one question for me Alex...since everything we have been through together was so suddenly...", she said as she gave a dry laugh.

He nodded as he clenched both of his fists tight enough that his knuckles turned white as his nails dug into the skin of his palm. He wasn't ready for this, not to let her go, not now, not ever but he already set himself up.

"Did you ever love me...?", Zoey asked as she started to tear up a bit.

"No.", he answered trying to keep his voice steady enough so she wouldn't be able to hear his lie or his regrets of this moment right now.

'SLAP'

A loud sound went off, which turned out to be Zoey who slapped him across his face as hard as possible, which made his face flip to one side because he did not expect that. He didn't know what to expect but he knew he had deserved that slap. He couldn't blame her, he didn't explain why he was so indifferent to her after bringing her to such a state of falling in love with him but he continued.

"Whatever you wanted, whatever you saw, was not love, I was simply using you and deceiving you. So you can get out of my life now-"

'SLAP'

She slapped him again across the other cheek and she cried. He reached out to caress her cheek, but she quickly shoved him and ran off.

She went into her room and wiped her eyes quickly as possible while she tried to think straight as she emptied the drawers of 'her' clothes only that she brought from her home.

Zoey carried her bag which was full of her clothes as she walked to the exit but Alexander quickly reached it before her as he tried to stop her.

"Zoey...I-", he was cut off as she dodged his touch and dashed past him.

A few hours later

Zoey now reached her destination, and she breathed the fresh air as she exited the airplane. She hailed for a taxi, as she entered in, the old man, quickly put his cigarette down and he looked in the rearview mirror.

"Where to ma'am?", he asked as he adjusted his rearview mirror to get a look at who he was dropping off.

"To Town X, please.", she said as she leaned her head back and closed her eyes as she pinched the bridge of her nose.

"Sure thing."

They finally came to a stop after half an hour, she paid him as she took out her luggage and reached the porch as she rang the bell.

"Coming!", she heard a distant voice from the other side of the door.

The door opened and she smiled grimly.

"Hey, dad."

"Hey sweetie, come in.", Zoey's father said as he took the luggage out of her hands and led her in.

As soon as her father closed the door, she rushed to the windows where they were near and she closed the curtains, which made her father curious. Just then, she ran and hugged her father as tight as possible and started to cry.