Chapter 26

"Zoey, wake up. We're here.", he said coldly.

Zoey woke up groggy as her eyes adjusted to the darkness surrounding them.

"Where are we...?", she queried in a quiet voice.

When she finally looked around, she saw that it was a house, not any house but her father's house. She gave Alex a stern look but he was unreadable and gave a hard look to her.

"Alex...what did you do...?", she asked as she gritted her teeth and clenched her fists tightly.

"The best thing, I've never been happier than this.", he said as he got off the car and walked over to Zoey's side.

Zoey quickly slammed her hands on the clips of the car but he opened it and slowly walked towards her, she then rapidly grabbed the door handle so he wouldn't open the car door. She wanted to be with him, she knew how she felt as she shut her eyes as tight as possible and tears started to roll down her face. Zoey then lost the courage to fight the losing battle against Alex as she let go of the door handle and he opened the door.

"Alex...No...please... I want to be with you. I lov-"

She could not finish her sentence as she yanked out of the car with Alex holding her wrist tightly, dragging her out of the car. He didn't utter a single word as he pulled her and she struggled as she tried to pull herself back out of his grasp.

"Alex!", she yelled at him loudly but her voice came out as a whimper with his hand holding her wrist tighter.

"Shut up.", he said in a low, gruff, and stern voice.

(What the hell is going on...why is he treating me so harshly....Was it because I got him into trouble? I don't get it.), her thoughts started to run wild.

Zoey kept quiet.

Just then, her father, Leo came out of the house and closed the door behind him.

"The deal is done.", Alex said stiffly, Zoey could see the grinding of his jaws.

"Good.", Leo stated as he took hold of Zoey's hand, leaving her in confusion.

"What deal....", she asked quietly to Alex.

But he just ignored her and walked away. Zoey quickly untangled herself from her father's grasp which left Leo in shock but he stood in his position. Zoey ran and hugged Alex tightly from behind which made him stop in his tracks as her tiny arms tried to wrap herself around his body. Alex tightly clenched his fist, he didn't move or speak.

"Alex.... Please...listen to me... I love you.", she said to him and she tightened her grip around his well-toned body.

"Zoey...", he said in a quiet and sad voice which changed quickly. "I only used you, I've never loved you.", he said as his gruff hands untangled himself from her grip, leaving her in tears.

Alexander never dared to look back so he just kept walking and entered his car, starting the engine and leaving her there all alone in the dust. Leo felt bad, so he decided to try and comfort her but she just dodged him and ran away to her room. He didn't bother to run after her, he knew she needed some time, and he knew that he had to be hard in order to protect her. Leo clenched his fists into tight balls and just walked back inside the house.

The next few days became tougher as she started to play with her food, she looked like a zombie. Leo did not know how to help her or what to do to make her feel better.

(Does she really love him to this extent?), he thought to himself.

Just then, Zoey put the fork down. She drank some water and took a deep breath in.