Chapter 66

Alex's Pov

I pinched the bridge of my nose as Zoey walked out of my office. Why was she so angry at me? Did I do something wrong? What did I do wrong? Women are so confusing! I huffed out in annoyance and changed my shirt.

As I did so, my cell phone's notification rang off. I picked it up as I put the tie around my neck with the other hand. I unlocked it and found that it was Damien who was messaging me. I opened it and placed my phone back on the bed as I adjusted my tie.

I picked up the phone again and walked to my office desk to get started with work. Especially with Zoey's sudden disappearance, I've lost track of my work schedule, but from what it seems like...there's no happy ending for us as yet. Zoey's hiding something from me.

I opened the message that Damien sent me and to my expectation, I wasn't surprised. I know Edward was the guy involved in the project of vampire hunting, but knowing him and working with him, he's the type to follow orders, not make them. So there's clearly someone else who is behind this.

I played the video and I saw Edward talking to someone from a camera. Damien is quite the hacker, I'd give him that. The man pushed him against the wall, and it seems like he was threatening Edward, something to deal with Zoey since they both came out of the hospital room she was in.

From what I could tell, that seemed like the leader. I paused the video and looked closely at the background to see the writing 'Emmerson'. Who the hell is this guy? And why did Leo have this man's file? It doesn't add up. I continued to play the video and my eyes widened in shock as I saw 'Leo', Zoey's father facing the camera's direction and walking away.

This can't be...I put my coffee back down and ran a hand through my hair. No. It's impossible, Leo won't do this to his own daughter.

I received another message from Damien.

Damien:

That's Zoey's father. What do you want to do about it?

I had no idea what to do or what to type. But it all clicked in. Was he trying to bait me into marrying Zoey and trying to turn us against each other by exposing our secret? And if so...is my sister involved in this?

Me:

Is Alexa with you right now?

Damien:

No, why?

Me:

Don't tell her anything about this and if she asks, tell her you can barely find any information.

Damien:

Got it.

What do you want to do about Zoey's father?

Me:

Get information about him and Alexa. As for Alexa, trace everything they did before Alexa met Zoey at the store.

Damien:

Understood.

I put my phone down on the table and clasped my hands together and leaned my head on top of my knuckles that were now grazing over my stubble.

The day went on as usual and I tried my best not to call Zoey in, especially after the way she deflated my ego. Every man needs an ego to survive women. She destroyed it. I stretched out after completing a long day at work. Zoey asked if she could leave early because she had important matters to attend to, so I allowed it. It doesn't make sense because it was five minutes just before time to leave.