Chapter 60

Alex heard Sabrina's voice and tried to hide the trace of Zoey quickly. He wanted to sort out one problem at a time.

"Hey honey!", Sabrina exclaimed as she gave him a hug and slurred her voice.

Alex rolled his eyes while they hugged.

"Sabrina, we need to talk.", Alex stated as he pulled away from the hug.

"Sure thing, honey.", Sabrina stated as her eyes landed on Zoey's chain that was left behind.

Alex ushered her to sit down.

"I want to cancel this engagement.", he stated.

Sabrina's eyes widened in shock.

"It's because of that stupid personal assistant of yours, isn't it?", Sabrina scoffed and walked into Alex's bedroom. "Where is she?!", she yelled.

"She took leave for the rest of the day."

But Alex just sat there on his couch and pinched the bridge of his nose.

"Look, I'm really sorry about all of this Sabrina, and it's not because of that assistant, I think I've just rushed into the marriage process. I need to clear my mind, there's too much going on right now.", Alex said as he placed both of his hands on either side of her shoulder.

Alex needed a way out of this, and being himself wouldn't do the trick. He didn't want Sabrina to remember them, or it'll go back to the start. He needed to soften her up.

"It really breaks me to do this.", Alex added.

Just then Sabrina threw coffee on his face. Alex closed his eyes in anger and curled his fists into a ball. Alex wanted to control his anger, he didn't want to disappoint Zoey. Sabrina's eyes widened in shock and her jaw dropped to the floor.

"Alex, I-"

"It's okay, I deserved that...I can understand...", Alex said softly. "I would like some time alone now please."

Just like that Sabrina left with a smirk on her face.

Alex looked back to see if she was gone and he huffed out in relief.

"Damn....she was annoying, I don't even know what I saw in her in the past.", Alex muttered under his breath and started to wipe his face with a hand towel.

"Now...I need to find Zoey.", Alex said as locked his doors and walked to the bathroom.

Little did he know...something important was missing.

Meanwhile

Zoey managed to leave the building quickly and she received a text from two people. She opened the first message.

Alex:

Take the rest of the day off, we'll meet at the mansion.

Zoey:

Understood babe!

Zoey chuckled after she replied and opened the next message.

Edward:

Hey, are you feeling up for it to meet today instead?

Zoey:

Sure, but I can't be too long though, I'm so sorry.

Zoey replied and closed her phone, but Edward replied immediately.

Edward:

No problem!

Zoey:

Thanks.

.

.

.

Zoey went to her apartment and had a bath and got ready for Edward to pick her up. As soon as he knocked on the door, she was ready, she wore a black tank top with a white short loose top black track pants and black leather boots.

Her outfit:

"Ready?", Edward asked

Zoey nodded as he opened the car door for her to sit inside.

"I just ask something to clear my head, if you don't mind.", Zoey stated as soon as Edward entered the car.

"Anything.", Edward said.

"We're just going out as friends, right?", Zoey questioned.

"Yes.", Edward nodded and started the car.

While they were driving, Zoey's cell phone was buzzing and the atmosphere became awkward.

"Uhm...", Zoey gave out an awkward laugh.

"Weren't you supposed to have a day off today?", Edward asked as he furrowed his eyebrows.

"Yeah...how do you know...?", Zoey asked as she furrowed her eyebrows in confusion and gulped her spit.

"Oh...just a simple guess, you're look says it all.", Edward stated as his dimples pressed in.

Zoey started to laugh. "Am I that readable?"

"Well...kind of...",Edward stated.

"I think I should answer this in case it's an emergency.", Zoey stated as she picked up her cell phone.

"I won't do that if I was you.", Edward stated as his words hit her as cold as ice. "I'm just saying, you're going to let him take advantage of you like that.", he said but made his point across.

"Sure...I'll just text him then, tell him I'm busy now.", Zoey stated as she tried to look as calm as possible.

Just then, she touched her neck and her eyes widened. Zoey's necklace was missing, but she tried to make sure Edward didn't notice, his eyes were glued to the road.

Zoey:

Hey Mr. Griffin. I'm busy right now, I'll talk to you as soon as I get home, right now I'm on the road. I'm sorry I couldn't take your message. Bye.

Alex:

Understood Miss Smith.

Zoey let out a small sigh of relief and put on her location but acted like she put her phone off. She put her cell phone in her pocket and turned to face Edward.

"Now where were we?", Zoey asked Edward as she gave off the brightest smile.

Edward smirked.

Meanwhile

"GODDAMN IT!", Alex yelled as he punched the wall in his gym.

Alex paced around the room anxiously and tried to call Damien, but he did not pick up.

"Shit!", Alex yelled as he threw his cell phone across the room.

"Calm down Alex...The more you stress out...the harder it will be to find Zoey....", Alex pep-talked himself.

Alex and Zoey made up an emergency code if the other ever got into trouble or something was wrong, and Zoey followed that. First, the other would use a respective name instead of using the partner's nickname. Second, the others would try as best as possible to emphasize that they were not at home and something was wrong. Third...Zoey would touch the chain to draw Alex to his scent, but she didn't have the necklace and Alex knew that because he would have picked up her scent immediately.

"I guess I'd have to make one more phone call."