Chapter 42

Alex's POV

"I-I'm so sorry Alex...I-", was all Zoey could say before he cut her off.

"I don't want to hear it.", I stated in a monotone and cold voice, he then turned to look at Damien, "Damien, I need you to track down the Parkinson's family, that's the only family that we know that has that abilities." The Parkinson's family is our greatest rival, both in business and in rankings. They can shapeshift, they're vampires, of course, the sly types.

"I'll check on them.", Damien said to me before he then walked in Zoey's direction, placed a light kiss on her forehead, and gave her a soothing hug before he could leave.

"As for you Alexa, it's good to see you again, sis.", I gave her a subtle nod before I started to pull Zoey's wrist into another room.

I closed the door and locked it before I could face her.

"Explain. Now.", I demanded from her, not sparing her any mercy.

"You...already saw everything on the television.", she muttered under her breath as she shook.

'She's hiding something' , I told myself.

"Honey...I'm not worried about how the media sees me...I know you won't just go telling people I'm a vampire unless you had a valid reason.", I said.

I knelt on one knee in front of her and rubbed my hand over her knee while she sat down. Zoey's eyes widen.

"What are you hiding from me, dear?", I asked her.

No response.

"Zoey.", I said as my stern voice pulled her out of her trance.

"I'm so sorry Alex...I-"

"Guys! Hurry up, we need to leave like right now.", Alexa stated as she banged her fist on the door hard.

"What's going on?", I asked her after I unlocked the door, but all I could see was the frantic look on her face.

"Polices. Get up and don't pack anything, we're leaving right now.", Alexa demanded as she grabbed Zoey's wrist and pulled her out of the chair.

Alexa led the way, but then I realized that Zoey didn't know how to fully use her abilities as yet, so I carried her in my arms and ran, leaving my home behind and following my sister.

We finally reached an abandoned house, by the time we reached there, Zoey was already asleep, I placed her on a clean bed and covered her with a clean blanket as Alexa leaned against the doorframe and examined my actions.

"So this is where you stay now?", I ask, attempting to break the ice between us.

"Yeah, moved in recently. You've softened up a lot.", Alexa throws her comments at me.

I gazed at the one and only beautiful woman who could have changed me like that.

"I fell in love with someone precious.", I added as I placed a light kiss on Zoey's head as she continued to breathe softly, fast asleep.

I caught Alexa in the corner of my eye, who gave me a somber look, the type that my princess gave me. Now, something is off here.

"What's going on between you and Zoey?", I asked as her eyes widened in surprise.

I turned around fully to look at her, yet that same pitiful look hasn't left her eyes.

"We need to talk Alex...", Her voice trailed off. "But not in front of her though."

"She's asleep.", I told her, but Alexa didn't take no for an answer.

I looked back at Zoey one last time before I could finally close the door softly.

"What's going on, Alexa?", I asked her.

"Take a seat first.", she ushered me and so I did.

I gave her a questioning look as I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion while she tried to gather her thoughts together.

"You need to leave Zoey."

Was the only sentence she said which made my eyes widen as I crossed my arms.

"No.", I stated in a cold voice.

"Alex...I'm so sorry...but when we met at the cafe I told her something...I think you should know it too.", she stated.

"Alexa...If you dare mess with her, I will not hesitate to hurt you.", I said coldly and clenched my jaws tightly.

"I'm not trying to mess with your relationship I think she's a lovely girl."

"Then what's going on?", I questioned her.

"I finally found out the way dad died...that's why I'm back in town...to warn you. But I realized you're in too deep to agree with my plan.", Alexa said.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Dad didn't have a natural death.", Alexa stated which made my eyes widen in shock. "He loved The Queen, but once he started to get too close to her, Queen Mary's blood killed him. She didn't know, but he could feel that he was getting sick. He knew, but stayed with her till his last breath because he loved her."

"Does that mean she's our...?", my words trailed off, there was just too much information to take in.

"No, and that's not the issue.", she stated as she ran a hand through her black wavy hair. "Alex. You either choose love or death, everything you've done to build this company from scratch, or your wife."

I kept quiet. I was left speechless. Just before I could respond, I heard wind rustling under the door to where Zoey was sleeping. Alexa looked at me and so did I, we both heard it. I ran into the room to see the window wide open, the curtain flew into waves, but just then something caught my attention, which made my heart pound and sweat run down my brow as I slowly approached the nightstand to see a note and Zoey's wedding ring.

I grabbed the note and the ring with me and jumped out of the window. Alexa tried to stop me, but I couldn't, that woman that just ran away...she's my life, the reason why I could breathe.

The wind howled, which somehow reminded me of the first time Damien and I met. I then pushed all my thoughts aside and closed my eyes, trying to focus and hear her footsteps. I couldn't hear a damn thing, nor could I smell her scent. She was long gone...I was too late. Tears welled up in my eyes as I fell to my knees, which was the first time I'd ever done that. I built walls around my heart...but one woman could break it...steal it and run away with it.

I banged my fist into the ice continuously until I felt two arms wrapped around my waist, pulling me up, I knew it was my sister, but I just couldn't manage. I cried like a girl but I couldn't care less.

We finally went back to the house, my sister clearly understood that I needed time to process all of this, so she gave it to me. I sat in the lounge and looked at the ring and kissed the ruby placed on it. I slowly opened the note.

'Dear Alex, my handsome, wonderful, and loving husband. You mean the world to me, it would hurt too much, knowing that you won't wake up beside me but I have to leave, I've realized that I have been too selfish. I understand if you hate me. But this note is to let you know that, no matter what, I will never forget you and you will always have my heart that I left behind in your care. I don't expect you to continuously take care of it and let it become a burden to you, but I want you to hold onto it for a little while as a reminder that I'll be the other half of you as long as you tell your mind. Goodbye, my love.'

I squashed the note and held my head in my hands, shutting my eyes tightly to not face reality. I wasn't ready for it.

It's too dark and cold without her. I love her.

A/N: Just a reminder, it's normal for a guy to cry just like how it is for women. This chapter is the saddest chapter I ever wrote.