Chapter 6

"Do you have anything in here that's not flannel or been to a rodeo?" Dylan asks me the next night while Sierra, her and I are in mine and Dylan's bedroom while they're helping me get ready for my date with Gavin tonight

I ended up texting him that I was sorry for blowing him off like I did and was up for going out so he's picking me up at seven and we're going to have dinner and catch a movie.

"Nice Dylan," I roll my eyes from my desk where I'm applying mascara with the quickest glance in her direction.

"What? I'm just saying. You don't have a lot of 'date night' clothes."

"Well sorry for not really planning to be asked out, at the spur of the moment," I joke.

"Mac, it's college. You should always be planning to go out," Sierra speaks from where she's perched on the foot of my bed, watching Dylan go through my clothes.

"I'm a ranch girl. I live off of flannels and jeans. You're lucky I don't sleep in them."

"Ha-ha," Dylan mocks. "Wait, hold on. I might have something to go with this," she adds as she pulls out my tan fringe jacket. She heads for her dresser at the other end of the room and pulls open her middle drawer before rummaging through it. "Yeah, maybe this. It's simple, which is something you seem to like."

"Dylan, be nice," Sierra scolds with a laugh.

"Oh whatever," Dylan waves her off. "Do you have a pair of faded blue flares?" she questions me.

"Yeah, bottom drawer, on the bottom left," I tell her.

"Good. Those jeans with this white top, the jacket and something other than the boots you wear everyday and to that party," she says holding up her ribbed white high neck tank top.

"I have tall dark brown boots I can wear."

"Perfect! Comfy and layered. Good first date outfit."

"Thanks," I smile at her. "Leave my hair down?"

"Duh, let those curls live. I love them."

"Thank you," I laugh, running a hand through said curls. "Are y'all sure this is a good idea?"

"The outfit? You don't like it?"

"No, it's great. I'm talking about the date."

"Mac, he's going to be here in less than thirty minutes."

"What's up with you?" Sierra asks.

"I don't know. I'm just nervous I guess. I can't even tell you the last time I went on a first date."

"What about with that ex?"

"Um, we didn't really go out on dates. We always stayed in."

"Ooh, some sort of secret romance?"