Flashback Bonus Chapter 1

January 16th, 2022

January 16th, 2022

It's been a long fucking day trying to avoid and ignore Mackenna Baker.

You know, my boss's young daughter who is barely eighteen and still in high school.

Since I saw her that first Monday of the new year, laughing with her friends as they climbed into her Jeep to go to school, I've been infatuated with her.

Knowing full well I'd land six feet deep without a trace if her father found out his daughter was hogging all of my focus whenever she was around.

Pretending she doesn't exist is next to impossible with the way she captures my attention whenever my eyes find her, and you bet they do more than they should. Her energy is always on another level, especially if she's bickering with her older brother Miles, but her smile and laugh enthrall me in an unbelievable way I can't put into words.

I'm not sure why, but even after only two weeks on Black Creek Ranch, I'm so drawn to her.

The work day is done though so I'm free of her captivation.

If only I could get my mind off of her.

Either way, I'm currently stretched out on my bed, playing with my hat while my phone is resting on my chest with Coleman Pierce on speaker. I was staying in the loft above the barn since the bunkhouses with the other ranch hands are full so I was secluded and less worried about what I'd say to him.

"So, tell me why you've been so all over the place since ending up in a different state than me," my best friend speaks through the phone.

"Oh fuck off. You left home first to go save the country," I joke. I'm proud of my best friend for stepping up and joining the military, it's not an easy thing to do and as much as I love knowing he's safe at home, I know he hates that his injury took him out of the field.

"Don't be a prick," he chuckles.

"Hey, don't talk to me like that. Where's Bridge to keep you in line tonight?"

Coleman and his new fiancee Bridgette just got engaged during the New Year and they currently don't have any plans to get married for at least a year.

"She's out with her friends, I don't know. Something about 'girls night' to celebrate us getting engaged."

"Right," I nod.

"I don't know. As long as she's happy and safe, I don't care. She's supposed to text me when they're ready to go 'cause I don't want them Ubering or whatever after drinking."

"Nah, I get that. Too many creepy people in this world."

"Amen brother," he sighs. "Anyway, stop avoiding the question. What's going on with you over there? How are things?"

"It's going good. This place is pretty cool, I like it so far. some of the other hands are somethin' else, but I'm doing my best to let it slide."

"Any cool chicks over there?"