Chapter 55

The few days Mackenna spent at home during the anniversary of Grant's death was hard to sit back and watch

The few days Mackenna spent at home during the anniversary of Grant's death was hard to sit back and watch. Her and her brother needed time together, they both have a lot of pain and grief to still work through.

I was there as much as I could be, but also wanted to keep my distance when I felt like they needed time by themselves. I can't imagine what they must have gone through after he passed away and seeing Mackenna especially suffer is something I know I'll have to deal with seeing again. I've put myself in her corner, Miles as well and I don't plan on backing out now that things are okay between Mackenna and I, but her family life isn't nearly as good as it should be.

The siblings need all the support that they can get, they have a very small family that's torn apart so they've basically been by themselves.

Yes, I shut out people when my dad's diagnosis came through, but I have extended family that have reached out. I know we all would have been there if anyone in our family had passed away.

Sitting beside Mackenna when she had that phone call with Lorena was one of the hardest things I've ever done. There were so many times during that brief call that I wanted to rip my girl's phone from her hand and rip into her so-called mother.

I couldn't clearly hear what Lorena was saying, but I know it wasn't good based on how Mackenna reacted in every sense. I hated watching her break down after she ended the call. It made my heart hurt for her. I wish I could fix things between her and her mom, at least so things can be civil with them.

Lorena has missed out on so much of Mackenna's life and she hasn't seen the woman her oldest daughter has turned into despite the fact that she wasn't around.

Grant did an amazing job raising Mackenna and Miles basically on his own with Alice stepping up to be there for them was beneficial in how the Baker siblings turned out.

Mackenna and Lorena had another phone call a few days ago after not speaking for over a week and Mackenna built the walls she had just started to dismantle for her estranged mother all the way back up again. She called me only a few minutes after hanging up with Lorena, telling me the call didn't go well, again, and she needs more time. She doesn't know if she can ever have a relationship with her mom after everything that's happened.

Lorena bailing when she was so young, too you to really remember memories of her family together. She only came in for a couple of days maximum for their birthdays, some holidays and even her eighth grade promotion. The biggest blow was everything surrounding Grant's death and her high school graduation.

All valid reasons I can't blame Mackenna for wanting to put distance between her and her mom.

Miles has always been understanding about the strained relationship beloved little sister and their mother have, even more so after hearing about the past two phone calls they had.

Not to mention how Lorena hardly reached out to him on the anniversary of Grant's passing.

I know she's not ready for her mom to be in her life after everything that's happened.