Chapter 30

After returning to the house, Mackenna and I went up to her bedroom and crawled into her bed where I fit even less despite her bed being the same size as mine in the loft because of her boots at the end of her bed acting as a footboard

I haven't been in her bedroom before, when I was here earlier in the year, I never lingered much inside the house to begin with, let alone never going upstairs. I've only ever seen her room in photos and I want to investigate it more, but when the time is right and when my girl is upset and trying to sleep, is not the time.

She cried in my arms when we got back up here and I don't blame her. She's been holding all of her emotions in about her dad, especially when adding our relationship to the mix.

I just held her and told her I loved her, that her dad loved her and she was strong enough to get through anything. I also told her it was okay to cry, it's okay to have these moments of vulnerability. My fingers threaded through her hair as she all but cried herself to sleep a little more than an hour ago.

Her head was buried in my neck since she'd pulled me partially on top of her. She's now rolled more onto her back, but she's stayed close, tucking herself against my chest. Her stirring draws me out from getting stuck in my head, her body stretching out before curling back up, shoving one of her legs between mine.

"Hi baby girl," I smile as she snuggles closer.

"Mm, hi," she sighs. "How long was I out?"

"A little more than an hour?"

"Sorry," a small frown takes over her round cheeks and fuller lips.

"You're fine, don't worry about it," I soothe her, my fingers gently scratching the back of her head. "How are you feeling?"

"I'm okay, I guess," she partially shrugs. "I don't really know."

"Do you wanna talk about it?"

"Not really."

"Mmkay," I kiss the top of her head. "When do you wanna get up?"

"Probably soon," she answers. "Nana should be here soon."

"Right," I sigh. I had been kind of hoping she would call to say she wasn't going to be here, but guess I'm out of luck.

Her grandma is the most important person in her life, outside of Miles, she was basically like her mother since Lorena was M.I.A. most of her life. Alice and I never met outside of a quick hello, so I'm not sure how she feels about me.

"Are you worried about seeing her?"

"No," I grumble.

"Shut up," she sits up with a laugh. "Do you think she doesn't like you?"

"I kinda gave her a good reason to hate me."

"Wesley," she lets out a perfect giggle.

"I'm serious Mac."