Chapter 38

Fingers slowly thread through Mackenna's messy hair she has falling over her shoulder and down her back

She's sleeping peacefully beside me in her small bed in her dorm room. Her t-shirt clad body is pressed against my side, her breasts brushing my side with even steady, even, breath she takes, softly snoring.

I'd like to take credit of her being exhausted from the amazing sex we had to essentially pass out within minutes of cuddling together in her bed. Realistically though, I knew it was school and the stress of our relationship since we had to physically be apart for so long after being back together for almost a month and always within arms reach.

Plus, I left a year ago tomorrow and the first anniversary of Grant's death is coming up within the next few weeks.

Lorena has still been trying to reach out, but it's been less since Mackenna called her out a few months back.

Miles informs me of the bare minimum from his limited talks with Lorena to keep up with his and Mackenna's almost non-existent conversations about their mother. He knows he's crossing yet another line of his sister's, but I think he finally understands where Mackenna and I stand, so he trusts me with keeping it to myself.

I can't lie and say I'm not at all anxious about going back home to Montana and taking Mackenna with me. I know my parents and sister are going to love her, I'm only worried about what it could do to Mackenna.

Mackenna knows my family and I are extremely close and even though we know the dynamic is one she's not used to, I'm not sure how she'll handle it. She keeps telling me she's going to be fine staying with my parents, but I've been debating with myself if I should pop for a hotel room in Billings too.

"Your brain needs to shut up," her sleepy voice interrupts my thoughts. Her nails lightly scrape across my upper abdomen where her palm is resting.

"Sorry, baby," I whisper. I tuck her impossibly closer as I shuffle myself to intertwine our legs.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing." It's not completely a lie, but I don't want to ruin our weekend, or at least this moment.

It's peaceful, something we haven't had much of.

"Wes-"

My eyes flick downwards to find that she's already looking at me, concern lacing her groggy expression. "Later, baby, just get some more sleep," I hum, kissing the pout on her lips.

"I won't sleep tonight if I sleep more."

"Mac," I sigh.

"Don't shut me out, Wesley. Please. I know your brain is ticking about something."

"Are you sure you don't want to get a hotel when we go to Billings?"

"Baby, I've kept you from them for more than six months by the time we go back. I don't mind staying at your house."