Chapter 12

Wesley

Wesley.

The one person I thought I'd never see again.

"Wesley." I cut in with a nervous breath, his voice stutters to a stop before his dark hazel eyes take me in again, searching for something he won't find.

Fuck, he looks just as good as I remember.

His dark hair is mostly hidden underneath his hat, his eyes glistening in the light from my dorm building in front of him. His facial hair is a touch longer along his jawline, though it's nicely faded higher up his jaw to his cheeks. His denim jacket, buttoned red flannel and medium blue bootcut jeans are tight around all the right places on his ranch hand body.

"Mackenna, I'm sorry."

Those three words, eight months too late, rage inside me. My brain kicks on as everything in my body refuses to accept the apology.

"You're sorry? It's been months. I have absolutely nothing to say to you. "

"Please, just let me explain. I know—"

"No! You don't fucking know! And you don't have a right to either. You need to leave."

"Mac, please-"

"She said no dude. Now leave before you do something else you'll regret," Gavin cuts Wesley off. His arm around my waist pulls me closer to him, almost tucking me behind his body.

"Fuck you! You have no idea what's going on."

"No, I don't, but she told you to leave. That's enough for me."

"Leave me alone Wesley." I say. "There's nothing left for us."

Lies, lies, lies!

"I'm here through tomorrow night. Just, think about it. Please," Wesley responds before Gavin turns us away before I can say anything.

Not that I have an answer for Wesley anyway.

My date keeps a protective arm around me as I swipe my key card again and we head inside, leaving my ex-boyfriend out in the dark.

The walk through the building to my dorm room is silent, nothing but awkward tension passes between Gavin and I, his arm stays around me. It's the only solid reason I know he's still here since my brain and heart are doing a thousand laps every passing minute, the impending freak out threatening to crash through the closer we get to my dorm room.

"Mac, who was that down there?" Gavin softly questions me once we reach my door.

"Someone I never thought I'd see again," I answer, avoiding his eyes I feel burning into me.

"The ex?"

I simply nod my head, unable to verbally confirm the fact that Wesley is back.

"You didn't know he was here?"