Chapter 33

"Shit, sorry," I gasp after running into somebody as I'm coming out from the bookstore, my nose buried in my phone as I text Wesley

"Still clumsy, huh?" the familiar voice asks.

"Oh, hi Gavin," I chuckle. "How are you? How was your break?"

"It was good, nice to be home."

"How's your sister's douchey boyfriend?"

"Douchey fiancé, more like it."

"Oh no, really?"

"Yep," he nods with a small chuckle. "I've kinda come to terms I can't change her mind. She has to want it for herself."

"I can agree with that," I smile.

"How about you? Any more run-ins with that ex of yours?"

"Um, he's not so much an ex anymore."

"Really? You wanted nothing to do with him only a couple months ago. Why the change of heart?"

"The way we ended the first time wasn't exactly what I thought it was. We talked a lot, it wasn't easy for either of us. Lots of tears were shed."

"You're sure you want to give him another chance if he hurt you that bad before?"

"If there's one thing I'm sure about, it's him."

"Right," he sighs. "How are things with y'all right now?"

"Uh, things are harder than I'd like them to be with the long distance, we went from being around each other every day to nothing but calls and texts and it's just not the same. We're working through it though."

"He really makes you happy?"

"He does. We're happy."

"Well, as much as it hurts not to be the one to make you happy, I'm glad you're happy. You deserve to be happy, Mac."

"Thanks," I smile at him. "You deserve it too Gavin. I know there's some girl out there waiting for you."

"Thanks," he nods. "I uh, gotta go, but it was good seeing you. Don't be a complete stranger this semester, okay?"

"Okay," I laugh, pushing up onto my tiptoes to give him a quick kiss on the cheek. "See ya around Gavin."

"Bye Mackenna," he smiles before stepping around me, leaving me to head back to my dorm.