Chapter 69

The next morning, I wake up earlier than I expected too after being up late last night, with Mackenna sleeping on her side, facing me, with a leg hooked over one of mine

My eyes roam over the incredible body of hers hidden beneath the white sheet that I know is naked because my hand is on her hip to keep her close. I can't believe what we did when we got home last night, even as a guy, having sex with someone without a condom isn't something I've done before, even if the girl was on birth control.

Which I know Mackenna's not.

Either way, it was fucking incredible and I loved being with her when there was nothing to keep us apart.

Feeling the need to piss and get something to drink, I decide to slip out of bed, leaving a passed out Mackenna behind.

I decide to make some coffee, knowing Mackenna will probably want some when she eventually wakes up. Once it's ready, I make myself a cup and head out to the patio, sitting on the low brick wall with a bottle of water and mug of coffee that has a splash of milk in it.

By the time I've had about half of the coffee, the sunrise is lighting up the sky with yellows and oranges over the Pacific Ocean.

Tomorrow Mackenna and I leave to go back home to Buffalo, where it's back to reality.

The past couple days have been pretty emotional for Mackenna reconnecting with her mom and meeting the rest of her family. I couldn't be more proud of her for taking the steps needed to make this trip.

To be open and vulnerable with her mom about everything she's been holding onto most of her life.

Not to mention her finally dropping what's been negatively hovering above us with her possibly never wanting to have kids.

I didn't lie to her when I told her she was all I wanted and needed, but I never thought I'd be with someone who might not want kids. My brain went for a quick spin when she told me, but when I looked at her and saw her face, waiting for me to break her heart, I pictured not having her in my life and I knew I couldn't live without her again.

"What are you doing awake this early?" Mackenna asks as she sits down beside me.

I look over at her, finding her covered up in a pair of her black pajama shorts and a jade Carhartt pullover hoodie I packed. "Good morning, baby."

"Morning," she smiles through a quick yawn. Her hands are tucked into the sleeves so her fingertips barely peek out as she shifts a little on the brick that's got to be digging into her bare thighs.

I watch her cross her ankles, resting her hands in her lap. "You sleep okay?"

"Mhm," she nods, her messy bun bouncing a little bit with the movement. "How long have you been up?"

"Maybe forty-five minutes?"

"You should've woken me up. Or did you need time?"

"To do what?"