Chapter 13

It's another sleepless night

It's another sleepless night. I spend a good bit of it walking laps around the parking lot, sending a few angry texts to Miles about the whole building security bullshit that he clearly knew about since he had helped her move in.

My phone starts vibrating just after seven a.m. and Miles's name appears on my screen.

Not exactly the Baker sibling I want to talk to, but he'll do for now.

"What the hell did you do?" he yells before I can say anything.

"The fuck are you talking about!?"

"My sister sent me a no context text at almost midnight, saying she knows what I did. So, what did you do?"

"I showed up to talk to her."

"And?"

"And, I couldn't get fucking in! I didn't have anyone to let me in and escort me around."

"Oh yeah, I forgot about that." he chuckles on the other end.

"I'm sure you did," I roll my eyes. "Anyway. I ran into two girls that know her, maybe her roommates?"

"Dylan and Sierra?"

"I didn't get their names, but sure. We'll go with that. They said she wasn't home."

"Okay, well, you obviously saw her."

"Yeah, and it went like shit."

"Not surprised by that," he snickers. "What happened?"

"She yelled at me and told me to go."

"Breaking news, you didn't leave."

"No, I stayed in my truck overnight in the parking lot."

"Us Bakers get a kick out of having you sleep in your truck."

"I didn't sleep either one of those nights."

"Right, so what's your plan now?"

"Try and talk to her again."

"You think that's going to go any better? She probably didn't sleep either. That or she cried herself to sleep."

"Fuck off Miles. It's not like I'm not here trying to fix things."

"Yeah, how many fucking months later?"

"The two of you sound the fucking same," I groan, rubbing my hands over my face and up through my hair.

"You can't blame her for any of this, Wesley. You hurt her badly when you up and left. Then you show up out of the blue like you did last night? She's going to need time."

"I know that, but I need to try and explain myself."

"Not if she doesn't want to hear it. If she tells you to leave, you need to respect that Wesley."