Chapter 67

Late the next morning, we're supposed to be getting ready to go to my mom's house, but my anxiety has me dragging my feet past taking a shower and putting on clothes

I can tell Wesley is trying his best not to push, but he's got to be getting slightly annoyed with me because of my stalling. My mind is just winning right now because on top of dealing with trying to mentally prepare myself for seeing my mom since I graduated high school and having a big talk, Dylan and Sierra have been blowing up my phone about school starting in a couple weeks.

Dylan and Sierra probably mean well, trying to distract me from thinking too much of what could go wrong today, but they're just adding to my anxiety right now. They went ahead and decided for me that we are going to live together in a house close to campus this upcoming year. They told me about this new change of living arrangements as they were leaving the ranch, all their stuff was loaded up and we were about to hug goodbye.

Right away, I actively pushed against joining them since I can't contribute a lot of money towards it, especially because they had already chosen an unfurnished new build rental.

The girls of course wouldn't hear of it and said not to worry about it because they're parents are helping, something that definitely doesn't sit well with me.

Living in the dorms was yes, a bit of an expense for Miles and I, but at least it came with a bed, something I don't have to easily transport since Wesley and I are living in my bedroom now and his bed in the loft makes for a good spare bed in case of emergency situations in the barn or when we have guests.

"What are you looking at?" Wesley squeezes my ankle as he passes by the bed as he enters the room. He's probably pretending he forgot something to come check on my progress, or lack thereof, of further getting ready to leave.

I'm stretched out on the unmade bed, my laptop balanced on my stomach as I scroll through the pictures and house inspiration that Dylan and Sierra have sent me for the thousandth time. "Just things for the house," I answer, briefly meeting his eyes before focusing on the screen in front of me.

"Anything in particular?"

"Not really. They've only sent me pictures of what they're thinking about for furniture for the shared spaces because they know I won't like the prices."

"They just want you to be included."

"Yeah, include the poor friend who can't contribute. Just buy everything for me and expect me to be okay with living in a house full of things I have no say in or ownership too."

"That's not how they think of you and you know it."

I huff out an annoyed breath with an eye roll.

"Those girls wouldn't intentionally try to make you uncomfortable about living there."

"They already are though! They've made this decision for me, without talking to me because they knew I'd say no."

"That's not fair to them."