Chapter 14

"I love you

"I love you."

There's no way. There's no fucking way I heard him correctly.

No, fuck that. He doesn't get to show up out of the fucking blue after all this time and say those three words.

Those three little words I have been holding onto for dear life since the day he left me.

Closing the door on him, my chest heaving with the impending crash and burn that's been building since I found out Dylan and Sierra brought him up. The choked sob escapes me before I can stop and my fist pounds the other side of the door, give or take where his head would be. My body folds in on itself as I sink to the floor once again and cry over the guy who's continuing to wreak havoc in my life.

Why can't I stop crying over him?

I hardly slept last night, always starting to doze off before replays of last night came back full force, forcing me to be wide awake, overthinking, for at least an hour at a time.

Why now? Why did he have to come back now? I was finally starting to feel settled here, yeah I was torn about Gavin and I-

Shit, Gavin.

I really fucked that one up. God, I feel like an idiot.

He really liked me and begged me to give him hope, even just a small amount, something, and I wasn't able to, I couldn't lead him on. Yes, when he talked about Wesley being a ranch hand the way he did wasn't great, but I couldn't really fault the guy, he was dumped into a messy situation that had nothing to do with him other than liking me. His protectiveness over me when I was trying to get Wesley to leave me was sweet and I felt safe with him, but it wasn't enough for me to give him that hope we would be okay.

Class would be weird, let alone having to do that stupid project together. Luckily, we only had a little more than a month left of that and then we'd be done.

Tears continue to fall, my body shaking as I let the buried emotions take over, reveling in having the suite to myself since all the girls had earlier classes.

That definitely wasn't happening for me today. I wasn't leaving this room.

I don't know how long I sit there on the floor, against the door before I finally attempt to wipe up my face with the long sleeve of my dark gray pajama top. My head tilts to the side and my eyes land on the bag and drink on my table.

"Please, sit down and eat."

He brought me food.

I push myself up and walk over to the table, the food and strawberry lemonade are from the little cafe up the street from here, and even though the food is cold by now, I still pull the container from the bag. Popping the lid open, my heart shatters a little more at the sight of some of the most sickly sweet breakfast food.