Chapter 44

Packing up to leave Montana on Saturday morning was surprisingly harder than I originally thought it was going to be

The past week here with Wesley and his family has been amazing and I enjoyed my time with them more than I could put into words. His parents and younger sister have been welcoming and warm and they always included me with ease.

Watching Wesley with his family was special, the bond he has with them all, is something I wish I had. My mom had left before I could have memories of us together like we were an actual family and while my dad and grandmother did their best, I felt like there was something missing.

Being around the James's family, I think I finally figured it out.

There was no negativity, no secrets, no hidden agendas. No pretending. They were just who they were, unapologetically. Something I had seen in Wesley.

"Mac, you ready?" Wesley's voice barrels through my thoughts.

"Oh, uh, sure," I shake my head to focus on my boyfriend who was standing in front of me, in his bedroom at his parents house.

"You okay?"

"Yeah," I smile up at him. I've been sitting on his bed putting off our goodbyes while he was doing one last check around the house for our things since we had already loaded up our bags. "I can't believe it's time to go already."

"Me either." He tucks some of my hair behind my ear and cups my face before leaning down to kiss my forehead. "It was a nice break."

"It was," I nod. I stand up from his bed so I can stretch onto my tiptoes and press a soft kiss against his lips.

He kisses me back before he intertwines our hands so we can head downstairs.

"You all loaded up?" his mom asks us when we enter the kitchen.

It's still early, the sun has barely risen, but we want to get back at a decent time since I also have to go back to school tomorrow.

"Yeah," Wesley sighs as he steps away to hug his mom.

I hug Emma, promising to send her pictures of all the calves and that if she needs a big sister to talk to, I'm here for her.

Hudson is waiting for me as Wesley goes around us to hug his sister.

"It was so nice to meet you," I smile at Hudson.

"Ditto, Mackenna. I'm happy you came with him."

"Me too," I lean forward to hug him as well. I step back and turn to Shelby, who looks like she's on the verge of tears. "Thank you Shelby," I whisper for only her to hear once we've pulled each other into our own hug.

"Of course, Mac," she smiles, tightening her arms around me. "Thank you for loving my boy."

"He makes it easy," I chuckle.