Chapter 48

Almost a month later and I dread the day that's arrived

April twenty-sixth is the day my world changed for the rest of my life. It's the day my dad left and never came back.

If I thought the energy surrounding the anniversary of when Wesley left last year was bad, today is a million times worse. Not to mention the fact that it's a Wednesday, less than a month before school gets out for the summer.

My internal alarm woke me up before my alarm went off. I only have a couple classes today, but one of them starts pretty early with a few hours in-between classes to come back to my dorm room or head to the library to study.

I've ignored my phone all day;the constant messages from Wesley, Miles, my grandmother and my roommates have been almost non-stop. All but the ones from Wesley have been opened, except for the first one he sent me this morning. I had hoped he'd trade a few text messages with me before bringing up what today is, but he didn't, he jumped right into it and it turned me into a silent girlfriend.

Something I feel slightly bad about, but only slightly.

I couldn't even at least get a fucking good morning text from him first. Instead,he had to loop in my dad being gone for a whole year with it. I only checked them around noon when I was having lunch before my class started at 12:30 p.m. and I didn't respond.

This day has been horrible. I wouldn't mind never reliving it ever again. Every little thing has been annoying to varying degrees, usually getting worse the more time passes.

The sun has started to set by the time I finally feel like I've hid from my dorm room and friends long enough, so I head back hoping they won't be there.

"Jesus Christ! Are you nuts?!" Dylan shouts the second I walk into the dorm. She looks like she's been pacing the hallway for a while now, her phone in hand. Her shoes are on her feet, which I know she hates when she's in our dorm room. She usually has her socks on or her slippers, so it's probably safe to say I've worried her.

"I'm not in the mood."

"You don't get to give me the bullshit anymore. You can't at least send a simple message, even a yes or no? A fucking emoji?!"

"Dylan, I'm not in the fucking mood! Don't push me right now!"

"You've had all of us worried about you!"

"None of you were worried enough to come looking!"

"Oh, don't give me that shit. I knew you were still on campus, your Jeep has been in the lot all day."

"Jee, thanks for that comfort. 'Her car is still here so she couldn't have gone anywhere.' Real nice, on a day like today!"

"God, you're so stubborn! Your location is still on, we had a rough idea. You have people who care about you! Your boyfriend has been blowing me up because you won't even open his messages since before noon!"