Chapter 46

Soft kisses and the scratch of stubble brushing along my neck wake me up the next morning

My eyes blink open a few times to adjust to the darkness surrounding the room as Wesley keeps working my skin.

"Good morning, baby," he hums in my ear before kissing back down my neck.

"Is it even morning?" I whine, shifting my weight to be a little closer to him despite our tangled limbs.

"Yes," he chuckles. "I have to get up soon for work."

"Can't you play hooky for one more day?"

"I should really go help them."

"Ugh, fine," I concede. I know he's right, he's been gone for a week and the snow and calves haven't stopped coming, Miles and the other hands could use him.

"Can you stay until I fall asleep again at least?"

"Of course, baby." His hand slips under the sweatshirt I'm wearing to rest on my stomach, gently grazing across my skin while his other hand threads through my hair. "Are you going to go see your dad before you leave?"

"Probably. Especially since I might reach out to my mom."

"Have you told Miles?"

"No, but I want to talk to him too. There just isn't a lot of time."

"I can tell him to take the morning to talk to you, then he can join us after you leave."

"You'd do that?"

"I'd do anything for you, baby."

"I guess it wouldn't be a bad thing for us to have some one-on-one time since I've been hiding out with you all week."

"Probably wouldn't hurt." he chuckles.

I roll my eyes at his laugh, slipping my hand lower to intertwine with his against my stomach, his body heat warming my hand. "I don't know if I can do a whole school year like this, Wes. I hate leaving you."

"Mac, baby, we'll be okay."

"I don't want us to just 'be okay' though. It sucks not being home, spending time with you and Miles. This place is all I have."

"You have a couple months left and then you'll be home for the summer. You'll have time before you have to register for classes, we'll take it one day at a time."

"Wes-"

"Look at me," he rolls me over onto my back and he props himself up on his elbow beside me to look down at me. "You going to school is a good thing, you're furthering your education in something your family has been involved with for generations."

"Exactly, so why am I going?"

"You needed to get away after what happened between us and with your dad. You're making friends, and you're having fun, right?"