Chapter 65

Almost two weeks later, Dylan and Sierra have been gone for about a week now, so Mackenna and I have been busy working and trying to enjoy the last month or so of the summer vacation before she goes back to school

Things have been going well with us, but I still feel like she's hiding something from me, every now and then I catch her looking at me like she's about to tell me. But at the last second, she changes her mind, deciding not to say anything or something different entirely. I know she'll share whatever has been on her mind when she's ready, I just wish it was sooner than later because I want to talk to her and work through it together.

Mackenna still hasn't talked to Lorena about going out to see her so they can talk, and while I haven't exactly been invited on her trip, I'm hoping she'll want me to come with her. Even if she just wants me to make the trip with her, but not go with her when she goes to talk with her mom, I just want to be there for her.

However, I'm hoping to surprise Mackenna with a little distraction to get her mind off of everything and take her for a picnic and an afternoon away from everyone. I've got her brother keeping her busy away from the house for most of the morning so I can make the food and pack a lunch for us. I'd like to take the horses, but I think it would be better to take a quad so the horses can stay out of the afternoon heat.

It's only a few minutes later when I spit her through the kitchen window, walking across the yard from the barn towards the house, a pair of aviator sunglasses blocking her pretty eyes from the sun and more than likely hiding the confusion of where I am. I tuck the small cooler behind me in the corner of the kitchen, hoping she won't see it when she walks by to go upstairs.

Keeping a playful eye on her, she climbs the porch steps, both dogs hot on her heels, wanting to escape the heat themselves. "Wes, are you in here?" she calls when she opens the door, letting the dogs run in first.

"Right here, Mac," I reply.

She steps inside, the door closing behind her. "Hey. Where have you been?"

"Busy working on a little somethin' for you, us."

"What do you mean?" her eyes twinkle with interest and concern.

My feet carry me around the breakfast bar to stand in front of her. "Are you ever gonna learn how to trust me?" I wrap my arms around her.

"I didn't say that."

I take the opportunity to challenge her. "Alright then, go change into something light, baby."

"Why? What are we doing?"

"Uh-uh, that's not trusting me," I shake my head.

"You're infuriating sometimes, you know that?"

"I know," I smirk.

"Fine, fine," she concedes, resting her hands on my blue t-shirt covered chest. "I'll go change real quick," she pushes up onto her toes to kiss me quickly before she rushes up the stairs.