2. The idea

Sanem had just finished showering. 

After a day on the boat, the excursion to the island of Orak, their last stop before returning to the mainland, and the euphoria of seeing everyone again, she needed to relax with a nice hot shower. Those were the last moments of true solitude between her and Can. They had enjoyed the sunset embracing each other at the foot of the main sail of the "Phoenix & Albatross."

 And as she stood in the shower, the water beating down on her never-so-tanned body, Sanem thought that She would miss this very much, no matter how much she was more than happy to embrace her family again. But she promised herself one thing: this time she would defend her marriage to Can at all costs, not only from the intrusiveness of their families, but also from anyone who tried to come between them. She would set rules so that she and her husband would always have moments only for themselves. At that moment, she thought about what the meeting with her parents would be like the next day... and there an idea came to her.

At that same moment in the room, Can took advantage of Sanem's absence and prepared a surprise for their last night in the middle of the sea. She had filled the room with lit candles and in memory of old times had prepared strawberries and chocolate. She had lit incense, she knew how Sanem liked it.

He stretched out on the bed and waited for his wife to come out of the bathroom and with his hair still damp from the shower, loose in the wind with the ever-present albatross brooch, he read for a while.

Sanem, came out of the bathroom so elated to tell Can the idea she had in mind, that for a moment she did not pay attention to the room. "Can, listen to me is...." She fell silent suddenly.

Can closed the book istantly and spreading her arms wide, said, "Surprise!"

Open-mouthed Sanem began to stammer.... "Can, Can, Can... it's... too romantic!"

Can stood up, took her hand, kissed it and accompanied her to sit in the middle of the bed next to the tray with strawberries and chocolate, then spoke. "This is our last night in the middle of the sea, on our boat... I wanted it to be special.... but what did you want to tell me?"

"Um, I.... me... ah! Here." Said Sanem. "I was thinking...tomorrow we're going home, aren't we? We'll see everyone again..."

"Yes, and...?" Said Can puzzled.

"I was thinking... what if we don't tell anyone that we are coming back?" Sanem paused and thought about it. "Wait! Have you told anyone? To Emre, your father, your mother or others?"

"No... well, my father is in Amsterdam, my mother is in Australia and I didn't tell Emre because I assumed you had already warned your sister and consequently he knew too. So no."

"Ah, that's good!" Sanem replied with a sigh of relief.

"How is that good? In what way? Why didn't you say anything to your parents? Sanem do you want to explain to me what you are up to?"

"No, Can my parents knew we would be unavailable these days. I told them vaguely that we were going on excursions to different islands and I never added anything else. Even when they asked, I always changed the subject. You know how they are, if I had told them, they would have harangued us all the time to know every detail. When we arrive, what time, how, when and why.. They would have grilled me and I didn't want them to spoil my mood.... Can you imagine, how they would have attacked us right on the dock once we docked?! I mean, I love them so much, but they wouldn't let me breathe. In fact, they wouldn't let us breathe... my dear husband!" she replied sarcastically.

"In fact... That's it... I love your parents, don't get me wrong, you know, but I totally understand and in my opinion you did well." Said Can hastily. Then after a short silence he reflected, "That's why your mother didn't call me as often as usual these days...anyway Sanem, how are we going to do it? If your mother finds out from others she will take it out on us. Are you sure?"

"No, no, wait, I'll explain now. What I want is to surprise in stages. First our family, and then to our friends from the agency."

"Ah, why? Don't they know anything either? Not even Cey Cey?" asked Can.

"No, I didn't say anything to them either."

"Sanem, surprising our friends at the agency is one thing... and I find it a good idea, but I'm not entirely convinced that it's as proper to do such a thing to Mama Mevkibe and Papa Nihat."

"What do you mean Can?"

"Well, Sanem I wouldn't want your mother, and especially your father, to have a stroke seeing us again suddenly... after all, it's been almost two years since we left. Won't it be a bit too much for them? I don't want to have them on my conscience!"

"It's true my love, they'll be shocked at the moment, but..." said Sanem approaching and stroking his face. He always softened at the sweetness with which Can spoke of her parents and the beautiful relationship they had. He could hear the concern in his voice just as a son feels it for his parents. Can adored them and they adored him just like a son, and it has always been like that, for better or worse. Even Mevkibe called Can more times than she did! For example: if Sanem didn't answer...

if Sanem didn't tell it right... and so on.

All excuses were good to call him. But the truth was that Mevkibe had a special adoration for Can. And how can you blame her! Only dear Mevkibe didn't know that Can and Sanem were absolutely complicit in the answers they gave her, they knew her well by now.

"But?" said Can.

"But..." resumed Sanem, "we'll make sure it's not completely sudden, we'll make sure they get there! I have a plan."

"And anyway..." continued Sanem decisively, "If my mother and father didn't get a shock when we left by being away all this time, why should they get a shock now that we're coming back?... That's what they want! They can't wait! Can't you hear over the phone all the subterfuge they're trying to figure out when we're coming back?"

Can thought about it and laughed.

"Hmm, actually, your reasoning makes sense."

"Oh, it does, huh? What do you say then?"

"OK, my little wife you've convinced me, I'm listening."

"OK, so first we'll need the help of someone trustworthy who won't let anything slip with any of our friends and family."

"Let's think." said Sanem. "Who can we hear?"

They thought in silence for a moment, then suddenly Can exclaimed, "Mihiriban!!!"

"Ah, Can great idea! But Mihiriban if she drinks two drops of wine it's the end! She will spill everything. She can't hold alcohol at all!"

"Just her, eh?" Said Can sarcastically in an imperceptibly low voice... then he recovered.

"What? What did you say?" asked Sanem.

Can recovered, "No, nothing! I did not mean that when I mentioned Mihiriban's name. It occurred to me that she is the only one I warned about our return. I forgot to tell you!"

"What?!" exclaimed Sanem.

"Yes, she called earlier while you were in the shower. I told her we are docking at her place tomorrow, at the pier."

"Can! Damn! Now at the very least everyone will know." Sanem began to fidget.

"Shh, Sanem, my love, calm down, listen to me." Can gently stroked her hair. "When Sister Mihiriban called, she was at home, and at the estate she was alone. We exchanged a few words quietly. I asked her not to say anything to anyone precisely because I knew how much you cared about notifying everyone in person. And I did it without knowing about the plan or the surprise you had in mind. Because I know you."

Sanem showered him with kisses on the cheek. "Thank you, thank you, thank you! OK, then we can proceed."

She picked up the phone, dialed Sister Mihiriban's number and put it on speakerphone. She answered on the first ring in her unmistakable voice. "Sanem, my daughter!!!!"

Let the plan begin!

___________________________

Hello reader :)Thank you for reading the second chapter.If you'd like to leave me a comment.