13. First night on the mainland

Can lay on the bed and watched the branches swaying in the whistling wind from the window. He felt at peace with himself. The shower had relaxed him but his eyes would not close. Sanem came out of the bathroom with the towel on his head. She reached the bed and saw Can absorbed in the view of the landscape. "Can? Love, are you OK? I thought you were asleep."

"No, I was waiting for you. I can't sleep without you." replied.

Sanem, meanwhile, put on her pyjamas, climbed into bed and sat beside him cross-legged.

"Love, why don't you read to me? A fairy tale, a story, whatever you want. I like listening to you read. Your voice relaxes me." proposed Can.

"Ah!" Sanem hurriedly got out of bed and disappeared.

"Where are you running to?" he asked surprised.

"Wait there, I have something for you." she shouted, heading to the walk-in wardrobe in search of something. She had deliberately left it in her suitcase for fear that Can would discover it before its time.

She reappeared with her travel notebook in hand.

"Just for you. In advance." he told her.

Can took the notebook in his hand. 

He opened it and read the title: 'CAPCAN & MACHO ON A JOURNEY TO THE WORLD'.

"Sanem! But this is...."

Sanem nodded.

"You finished the children's book? Really?" asked surpised.

"Well, I finished the book. Or maybe it's better to say... the books. I talked to the American publisher. I've already sent him the publication proofs, and... according to him, based on the amount of material, there are all the prerequisites to create a trilogy."

"Come here, let me give you a hug!" Can crushed Sanem in his muscular arms.

"My children's writer!" he exclaimed joyfully. Then he looked at her and kissed her. It was a kiss felt by both of them.

"I'm so proud of you!" he said seriously, looking intently into her eyes, Sanem's face only millimetres from his own. When Can looked at her like that, Sanem's organs changed places. She felt all the love he felt for her. He had always been there from the beginning. He had always believed in her dream of becoming a writer and in her ability to succeed. She had never doubted it. He was her beacon. He was the one who pushed her to believe in herself, to give her all. He was the one who inspired her. And Can loved to be involved in everything about his wife. He liked it when she, in one form or another, inserted him into her stories.

"But when did you finish it?" asked Can turning the notebook over in his hands.

"Mh... about a week ago, but over the past few days I've been revising all the material several times in anticipation of sending the drafts I did this morning while you were running, to be exact."

"I've been waiting for the right time to show it to you, but we've been busy today, and in between..." she left the sentence hanging.

Sanem laid one hand on the cover of her notebook.

"Here. This is for you. I care that you read the original. You are the first and only one who will be so lucky, because the publisher will only have the printed one."

"I am lucky, then!" he exclaimed, smiling.

"Let's see. You'll tell me when you've finished it," she said cautiously.

"Okay, I'll take a look at it right away." Can gave a quick shake of the pages.

"I don't want to rush you, but do you already have any ideas for the covers, design and all?" he then asked her.