4. Istanbul - the last boat awakening

It was the first light of dawn, and the summer sun was beginning to peep through the porthole of the room. Can was already awake. He loved waking up early, getting some exercise, a shower and then a nice breakfast.... it was always his habit, but since he was married to Sanem he had an extra reason to get up early.

He had already exercised, showered and laid back on the bed with his back against the headboard looking blissfully at Sanem sleeping. It was one of the things he loved to do most. The night before with the surprise story, they had gone to bed late. They had been on the phone with Mihiriban for a long time about the preparations, and Sanem was not such an early bird that morning.

Can took advantage of that rare occasion to notice every detail, every expression of that angel sleeping blissfully beside him, lulled by the rocking of the waves. Every time he looked at her, he memorised in his mind every little detail of that angelic face. If she smiled in her sleep, if she sulked... if she murmured something.... Can by that, understood perfectly if and what she was dreaming.

On those occasions, Sanem would turn right into a little girl, helpless and sweet. She was sleeping on her stomach until a minute before, but in a moment she turned onto her left side and turned her face towards him.

A few strands of hair covered her face as she turned and Can could not resist the temptation to pick them up and gently move them so that he had a clear view of her face. He arranged the locks so that they framed that sweet little face, and with slow, delicate gestures he stroked her head.

Sanem felt that touch, smiled softly in her sleep and moved closer to Can, to rest her head on her husband's chest. With automatic gestures, he stroked her hair and lowered himself onto her to kiss her head. Her perfume bewitched him. Every time he wondered how he could be so lucky. Several times he told himself that this was peace, happiness... he wished he could stay like this forever. Suspended in these endless moments.

According to what they had agreed with Mihiriban, they would dock at the estate at around 10.30 am. It was the perfect time, because Mihiriban was in the agency with the rest of the team and they would not be attacked by anyone. They would have plenty of time to settle down at home and get used to dry land again.

No one would have disturbed them. From where they were now, they had about an hour's boat ride to get to the pier. They were much closer than everyone thought! Even Mihiriban. While reflecting on all this, Sanem began to stir a little in her sleep. Although clinically she was well, she was still carrying some side effects from taking the medicines she had taken during her darkest period.

In those two years of marriage, the instances where she would agitate herself in her sleep had almost disappeared completely, but it rarely happened. All it took was one small nightmare and she would start shaking and shivering like a bird.... just as Nihat had told her at the time. But Can had realised that the best cure in such cases was his presence.

So the moment she began to murmur his name in her sleep... he stroked her back in continuous movements and cuddled her, holding her even tighter to him. The trembling would only subside if she felt his closeness.

So he murmured softly, "Shhh... Sanem it's alright, I'm here by your side, I won't leave you."

"Can... Can..." she called him stirring in her sleep.Can calmed her down, "Sleep peacefully, we still have time before we leave."

Sanem slowly calmed down, the shaking faded until it disappeared completely and she fell back into a deep sleep.

____________________________

Hello reader :)Thank you for reading chapter four. Until the next one!If you like, leave me a comment.