14. The surprise

It was eight o'clock in the morning. The alarm clock rang. Can woke up and with one hand turned off that annoying sound. He looked out of the glass windows in front of him. It was a beautiful day. They had forgotten to close the curtains last night and a beam of light illuminated the room. He looked down and saw that Sanem was motionless, sound asleep and completely curled up on his chest. She had practically never changed position.

At that moment he mumbled something unintelligible and changed position slightly. She had turned her face right up in Can's direction and had raised one arm, resting her clenched hand on his chest. She had assumed exactly the position of an infant sleeping supine on its parents' chest. Can stopped to look at her and smiled softly. He brushed a lock of hair away from her face, which at that exact moment was reached by a ray of light coming from the window. A sign that the sun was rising in the sky.

In that moment the light was perfect. 'She looks just like an angel,' Can thought to himself. It would have been perfect to take a picture at that moment, but his camera was resting on the desk at the entrance to the room. And that meant getting up and consequently inconveniencing Sanem. So in order not to miss the moment and immortalize her, he grabbed his mobile phone from the bedside table beside him and took several photos. Can was not a fan of selfies or even photographs taken with his phone. Being a professional photographer, he preferred a real camera. Maybe a vintage one! It gave him more satisfaction and he had better control of the light with it. You could say he was an old-fashioned photographer, but he was absolutely a master craftsman in his work. Once they were done, he checked the shots and all in all they hadn't turned out so bad.

After all, having a state-of-the-art smartphone had its merits.

Then he looked up at his camera on his desk and thought that he still hadn't downloaded the latest photos taken on their return trip. He still had to check the folder with all the ones from the rest of the trip. Between landscapes and sunsets, Can had captured every possible and imaginary facet of his wife. She was the real star in most of the pictures he had taken, and looking at the ones he had just taken, an idea flashed through his mind. Perhaps he had just found a possible gift for their second wedding anniversary. Then another idea flashed through his mind, which he immediately put into practice. From then on, he would put one of his cameras on the bedside table. Within reach. So as not to miss any more opportunities like that.

She looked at Sanem and slowly stroked her back with continuous gestures. She was so sorry to have to wake her up, but it was necessary. With Mihriban, if all went well, they had a lunchtime appointment at the agency. He leaned towards her and whispered softly, stroking her cheeks with two fingers: "Sanem?"

"Sanem, Love?"

Sanem moved and slowly opened her eyes. She focused on Can and smiled blissfully. She was still in dreamland. "Can?"

Can leaned down and kissed her. "Good morning."

"Good morning." she replied, stroking her face and resting her head back on his chest.

"Oh god what time is it?" Sanem snapped, pulling himself up suddenly.

Her hair were shocked.

Can immediately placed them behind her ears.

"It's about 8.30. The alarm went off at 8, but it was early, so I didn't wake you up. You were sleeping so blissfully."

"You watched me sleep until now, didn't you?"

Can brightened up and smiled like a child. Then he took her face in his hands and kissed her on the cheek.

"You were so sweet I couldn't resist," he told her. "But now we'd better get up or we'll end up being late."