17. Life Change

They returned home happy and with full bellies around 4pm.

"Ah! I'm exploding!" said Can.

"I saw you, you really gorged yourself!" replied Sanem.

"Yes, I overdid it, I admit it." he replied. "I guess I'm going to go for a nice run in the woods now, to sober up."

"I was thinking of calling Ayhan. I haven't heard from her in a while."

"Ah! Give her my regards! And Osman too." said Can.

"Of course."

"When were you going to call your father?" she asked him.

"I was thinking after the run... but maybe I'd better do it sooner."

"Good. I'll be in the living room then, so I'll leave the garden free for you." replied Sanem.

"No. Sanem, I would like you to be present too." said her husbund.

"Can, love, I think it's better if you talk to your father alone."

"But..." he tried to replied.

"I know I'm not disturbing, but I think it's fairer this way...your father needs to vent to you," Sanem said to her husband. I will be there in the living room, if you need me, just call me and I will come. OK?"

"OK." he confirmed.

Sanem positioned himself in the living room and video called Ayhan.

"Sanemsi!!!" she greeted her.

"Ayhan? My friend! How are you?" asked Sanem.

"Ah, sis! I am fine. You and Can all right?"

"Yes, yes. Couldn't be better!" she replied.

"How's the trip going? Where are you?" asked Ayhan.

"Well, I also called to tell you this. We got back to Istanbul yesterday."

"Ah! Really? Are you at the estate? Ah, I wonder how happy Aunt Mevkibe and Uncle Nihat must have been to see you again! I heard her a few days ago and she was in pain... you know how she is no? "But Sanem when is she coming back? But why isn't she coming back? Snd so on." she quoted her mother's words.

"Yes, we are at the loft at the estate now. We just got back, we hugged them again just now. We hugged everyone again.... But Ayhan you can't understand."

"What sis?"

"Can and I came up with a plan to get to them by surprise that you can't imagine! You would be proud of me. I exceeded even your plans, Ayhan!" exclaimed Sanem proudly.

"A plan? What do you mean Sanemsi?"

Sanem told her about the surprise, the reaction of everyone in the agency and her parents, and the draft of the children's trilogy.

Meanwhile Ayhan, on the other side, had taken a large bowl of seeds. Sanem moved to the kitchen to do the same. They caught up on everything like old times, albeit from a distance. Just like the evenings they used to spend in her room in the neighbourhood.

Sanem told her about the Galapagos and the boat trip. This was really the first time in a very long time that they talked at length. The other times, between each other's busy schedules, and the fact that they were on the boat and could not, for obvious reasons, spend hours on the phone and all that... they had never managed it. This, for the first time, was a satisfying conversation. Sanem immediately felt they had re-established the connection that had always existed between them. They laughed and joked as if time had never passed.