10. In the vegetable garden

"Can! Caaan! Caaan!" Shouted Sanem like a madwoman all the way to the vegetable garden.

She looked around and said, "Mhh, sister Mihriban. You don't tell it right! You who leave the kitchen garden to itself to this extent.... Look at this! More than a kitchen garden it has become a forest!" Then she looked here and there to see if she could see Can's cardboard box. He remembered his old position, so she circled around the first tub of earth until among the tall grass she spotted old Can's face with his hair up.

"Ah...here he is! Oh my God he's really camouflaged! He has become almost one with the vegetable garden."

Then turning to the cartoon, "Can.... what have they done to you, eh? You poor man! They even put a hooded k-way on you! Ahhhh! Ahhh!"

Sanem burst out laughing, then suddenly tried to regain a serious attitude and said to herself: "Shh, Sanem, don't let them hear you."

Then something occurred to her and she burst into another thunderous laugh. "Ahhh, ahhh, all bundled up like this, you look like a dolma of my mother!"

"Who looks like a dolma of your mother?" Said Can behind her back.

"Ahhh!" cried Sanem in fright.

Can laughed. "Sanem, my love, it's me!"

"Oh God, Can you gave me a fright. I thought Can the scarecrow was talking to me! I thought I had gone mad again!"

Can hugged her tightly, putting a hand on her as if to protect her head.

"What were you saying about the dolma?"

"Ah, I said Can the scarecrow looks like a dolma, all wrapped up like that! Look at you! Ahhhh!" Sanem burst out laughing against his chest and Can could not resist her laughter.

"Indeed it's true, I do look like a vine leaf in that green k-way! But dolma is my favourite dish so I must admit I can't take it too hard. Good comparison!"

"Come on, not bad for a member of the Aydin family," she commented.

"Considering the poor banter in our family, between my uncle and my father, you, on the other hand, laughed heartily," she continued.

"Ah, yes, I must admit you did well! Nothing like your uncle Mitat. Besides, I must admit that your laughter is contagious."

"Anyway, talking about dolma has made me very hungry. I can't wait to see Mama Mevkibe again so I can savour her cooking again."

"Ah! Bravo!" said Sanem appalingly. "Your wife's don't even consider them. They suck, don't they? Bravo!" Sanem applauded offended.

"No, um... but love the last time you made me eat them, and we're talking about two years ago, before we got married, when we were still here, you almost murdered me!"

"Ah, but still? I already explained it to you Can. That time you had angered me. I had prepared the dolma well. You know I am better in the kitchen than when we met, and you had provoked me that day. So I admit that, in revenge, I added half a jar of chilli to the sauce at the very last minute, but in my defence I can tell you that as soon as you complimented me on the presentation of the food, I was already regretting it and wanted to take it out of your hand, but you beat me to it and... you know the ending."

"Yes... I risked my life. Again. You know it's not a problem for me and I'd do it for you, but after certain episodes I'm a bit cautious, that is..."

"Love, I swear if I had eaten it alone, without sauce, the dolma was really good!" Sanem assured him. "It may not have been at my mother's level, alright, but it was edible at least. Even Cey Cey and Muzo can testify, they ate them. Anyway it's fine, no problem.... eat my mother's. But know that I will prove to you that I was right."

Can stroked Sanem's face. "I know you will prove it to me. I see the light of ambition in your eyes, and I also know that you will succeed, because you can do anything." he concluded. Then he kissed her and took her by the hand. "Come on let's go eat Mihriban's 'goodies'.... and then let's run to the shops."

_____________________

Hello reader :)

Congratulations! You have reached the tenth chapter.

Are you enjoying the story? Let me know with a comment.

Thank you and see you next time.