28. The Decision

Can had looked for her everywhere. He had returned from his run, seen her note and drank her lemonade with a smile, hoping to see her return soon, but that was not the case. He wanted to talk to her. In the meantime he had taken a swim in the pool and then returned to the loft to have a nice shower.

Once done, he left the room and walked around the house expecting to see her sitting somewhere, but nothing. He looked outside. She was not in the garden. He thought maybe she had gone to the vegetable garden, so he went to see and took the opportunity to pick some fresh vegetables for dinner. Nothing. It wasn't there either. He filled the basket he had brought and thought he would make a nice big salad with freshly picked tomatoes, just the way his wife liked it. The sun was beginning to set, so he decided to take the vegetables home and start preparing something. There was no sign of Sanem. He set the table for dinner. He tried to call her about the house. Maybe in that short time she had returned and they had not crossed paths. So he went to their room, but nothing. There was no one in the bathroom either.

Can began to worry. Where had she gone? Maybe she had arrived at the pier and stopped to watch the sunset? Had she gone on the boat? Doubts began to assail him. Maybe she had gone for a walk and got lost stepping on flowers at the creamery, he thought.

A strange feeling began to oppress his chest. No! He could not sit idly by. He tried calling her. Nothing. He heard her mobile phone ring. Was it at home? He went round all the rooms until he found it ringing on the dressing table. She had left it here... perfect. Now what? Anxiety was starting to set in. Maybe she had found some villagers and stopped to chat. No! Suddenly he grabbed Sanem's phone, her own, and ran outside. He would reach the pier. Two minutes later he was already there. The pier was desert, he got into the boat, checked inside and nothing. He got out.

On the pier he stopped for a moment to think. Could it be on the lawn nearby, where they had placed the largest hammock? He ran in that direction. Arriving, he recognised everything. The central mast and the large hammock with a view of their boat. It was not even there. He then decided to go to the creamery.

He only hoped she had not wandered into the surrounding forest, otherwise he was sure she was lost. No! He told himself. Let's think positive, let's not think the worst. He ran to the lab, called her out loud before looking out and seeing. Nothing! He went downstairs and also checked the storeroom where he kept the ready-made creams. Absolutely nothing.

"Mihriban's house!" He thought. Maybe she had gone to see Deniz. Strange! He had not seen Bulut's car since they had returned from the agency. But he couldn't know, maybe he had accompanied her and returned to the village. She called Deniz.

"Hello?"

"Hello Deniz, it's Can."

"Can, hello! Tell me! What's going on? Is everything OK?" she asked hearing his shortness of breath.

"Um... yeah, listen, are you at home? At Mihriban's I mean? Are you on the estate?" he asked.

"Um... no, I'm in the village with Bulut. He is helping me with the shopping. Why?" she asked.

"Ah, no, nothing... but from the agency, you haven't dropped by the estate then?" he asked to be sure.

"No, not yet.... Can? What's going on? Is Sanem OK? Has something happened to her? I can feel you're out of breath..." she asked starting to worry.

"No, no, don't worry Deniz. I'm running around the estate for this. I stopped now to call you. Sanem asked me, and.... I just remembered now. She is in the shower." He lied Can hearing the anxiety in Deniz's voice. It was hardly the time to add more anxiety to his, so he continued: "She wanted to ask you something. She didn't see you at the estate, that's why I was asking. Don't worry, we are fine... good, yes. She will ask you tomorrow then. It's not important now." he replied to cut it short.