69.

SIX YEARS LATER

I woke up beside my two little girls in my bed. They always come and join me when they can't sleep, and that's okay. Bambi was on the floor, sleeping nicely too. I enjoy my early mornings with them. It was a Saturday, and I had woken up too early. Six a.m, and I might as well get up and start making pancakes for them. I found out I was pregnant with Romeo's baby after Philip left me my new start, and I miss him more than ever. I wish he could see how his little girl has grown, and the same with Harper and Antonio too.

Serena is seven and Selena is five. They're like best friends and sisters. That's all I ever wanted for them. Serena is a mix of Harper and Antonio. Her lips, eyes, hair, and cheeks are Harper, the rest is Antonio. Though, I only see Romeo in my daughter. Going to labor without anyone by my side was one of the hardest things I ever had to do, but somehow I felt like Romeo was there with me and helped me get through it.

I put the pancakes on plates when they were done, and got Nutella and honey, and everything else out on the table for them to pick. I try to provide as much as I can for them. I got a job at a hospital as a janitor and I'm grateful. It gives me enough money to get food and pay the bills and sometimes if there's leftover money I can buy toys too. Though Serena loves to read, I buy her books sometimes too.

She likes reading stories to Selena too.

Serena always asks about her parents, because I came clean and told her that I'm her aunt. I couldn't be lying to her and acting like she was my daughter, that wouldn't be fair to the sacrifices Harper made for her. She loves hearing that her mother did everything she could to save her and that her father protected her the best he could from the bad guys.

With Selena, I tell her that her father went out to discover the world and see the world so he could show her it too. I would rather explain it all when she gets older. They both deserve it.

I got three glasses and filled them up with juice, but the door to my bedroom went up.

"Mommy?" The tiny voice said. I looked over my shoulder and saw Selena with Bambi in her arms, though the dog was just a bit too big for her.
"Good morning baby," I said, letting Bambi go and taking Selena in my arms, hugging and kissing her tiny cheeks. I loved her so much.

"Pancakes." She mumbled and pointed at the table with her index finger.

"Are you hungry?" I questioned and she nodded her head. I pushed her short hair that went down to her shoulders behind her ears. I put her down again and nodded.
"Alright, let's wake up Serena and we can brush our teeth and eat some breakfast together," I told her, and she nodded and took my hand.

We joined Serena in my bedroom and sat beside her, gently shaking her unconscious body.
"Mommy made pancakes, Rena!" Selena whispered and crawled to her other side. Serena slowly woke up and sat up, using the back of her hands to rub her eyes. Rena was Serena's nickname, and Lena was Selena's. I loved the idea of it, and it was their idea.

"I love the smell." She exclaimed. I nodded in agreement and got them both to join me in the bathroom to get their teeth brushed. They hate the taste of it, but their teeth can't remain dirty while eating. Personally, when I wake up I immediately brush my teeth. It's the grim taste I can't handle.

I helped both of the girls. Though they're learning how to brush them themselves. After that, we got to the dining table with such a nice vibe. I loved our breakfasts together, it was a great way to start the morning with them.