The Past in Revenge

*picture of Lan Xichen*

WC:1015

~Eight Years Earlier~
"But dad! I don't want to leave The Cloud Recess! Why do I have to go to Lotus Pier?" Seven year old Lan Tian quickly ran back to his room and took off his head band tying it to their bed. "I'm not going!"

"Lan Tian, we have to. I have important business to attend to and Jiang Cheng wants you to meet his nephew." The small child just shook his head crossing his arms.

"What's the racket in here?" Lan Xichen leans in the door way eye bro rainsed.

Young Lan Tian purses their lips and turns away, "I don't wanna go!"

Lan Xichen looks over at the struggling Lan Wangji as he tries to get his child ready. "Well, I guess if you don't want to come we'll just have to leave you here." He man shrugs his shoulders smirking.

"No! Don't leave too." The room became silent, Lan Xichen felt as if he could hear his brother's heart breaking.

Ever since Lan Tian's fifth birthday when a cultivator let it slip that Lan Wangji probably wasn't their birth father, it was like a knife was held above the two. Lan Tian almost always refused to be without one of the two jade twins of Gusu in fear that they would in their words "Get rid of him too." Lan Xichen knew that this emotionally and mentally hurt Lan Wangji every time he saw his child's eyes.

"Leave." Lan Wangji couldn't meet Lan Xichen's eyes.

"Lan Zhan. It was a joke.. I'm sorry." Lan Xichen reached out for the pair, he more than anyone knew how much the two had been through.

He could tell the two were both holding back tears but kept trying to back pedal, "Go." Lan Wangji just kept pointing to the door.

"Lan.."

"Go!" This was one of three times Lan Xichen had ever seen his brother like this. Parent hood had changed him, Lan Wangji treated Lan Tian like they were the only two in the world. He didn't mind it but found it frustrating at times. So, he left.

"Lan Tian. Your Uncle didn't mean that. He was just trying to help." Lan Wangji reached out for the child.

"Dad, why did they give me up? Is there something wrong with me?" Lan Tian began fiddling with the ends of their ribbon and hands.

Lan Wangji knelt down to bed one face to face with the child. "Hey, there is nothing wrong with you. And I am so lucky to be able to be your dad. Why don't I tell you the truth about your other dad? Would you like that?"

Lan Tian nodded his head and Alan Wangji helped them untie their ribbon before placing the child on his lap. "Let me start at the beginning, we were about fifteen and your dad and his adoptive brother came to The Cloud Recess for learning..."

With in half an hour of story telling Lan Wangji had comforted the child to sleep with a single promise, "I'll tell you more about him when you're older." To be frank Lan Wangji wasn't sure who Lan Tian's real parents were other than the fact that the child had the same abilities as Wei Wuxian. So he treated the situation as if the child was both his and Wei Wuxian's. Sometimes he would even imagine what their lives could have looked like if the three of them had a chance. Did Wei Wuxian thing of this too when he decided to give the child to him? Was he hoping for the same out come that he was?

By the time the two had reached Lotus Pier Lan Tian was back to their flamboyant and energetic self. "Lan Tian, you must behave and represent The Cloud Recess like we talked about. Okay?"

"Yes Dad." Lan Tian ran towards the tallest tree they could find and began climbing.

"No! Stop climbing that! We talked about this Lan Tian." He began running to pick up the child off the tree, "Do not stick that stick in your mouth! Lan Tian!"

Despite how much of a pain Lan Tian could be, Lan Wangji couldn't help but smile. He knew in moments like this that without a doubt this child had some of Wei Wuxian's blood in his system. He couldn't blame them after all that tree did look fun to climb, and if he was seven he probably would have tried to bite the stick too.

Within minutes somehow Lan Wangji found himself climbing the tree with his child. "Lan Tian, don't go too high."

"Come on dad! The lava is gonna get us." Something about the way he giggled both broke and filled Lan Wangji's heart. This child meant more to him than anything else in the world, so he decided that it didn't matter who their parents were because he is his parent now.

"Oh no! The lavas at my feet, grab my hand Lan Tian." Lan Tian bit down to hold the stick in their mouth as he reached for his dad.

"Lan Wangji?" A deep rich voice echoed through the sky.

"Jiang Cheng!" Lan Wangji stared down at the tall figure dawning rich purple robes with a small child hidden behind him.

Lab Wangji quickly scurried down the tree cooing Lan Tian to follow. "Did I meet you at a bad time?" Eyebrow raised, Jiang Cheng watched as the two climbed down from the tree. It was a different side of Lan Wangji that he doubted very many people have seen in the past.

"I am sorry for the inconvenience, we were just scouting out the area." Lan Wangji bowed slightly motioning for Lan Tian to follow but as usual he got distracted and began playing with the covering around Lan Wangji's qugin.

"It's fine. This is Jin Ling, my nephew." The man motioned to the small child working his way to stand in front of his uncle.

Lan Wangji grabbed Lan Tian's hand and pulled him in front of him. "This is my child, Lan Tian."