Family Core -5

WC: 1765

As the knocking faded, Jin Guangyao inquired, "Who is it?"

"Sect Leader, it's me!" Su She's voice echoed through the door.

Jin Ling shook his head as Lan Tian as they rolled their eyes.

As two monks pulled the door latch, Su She entered accompanied by a blast of fierce wind that nearly extinguished the rows of candles.

The moment Jin Ling saw the dripping sword in Su She's hand, he pushed and shifted so Lan Tian sat behind him guarding them from view. In return, Lan Tian leaned forwards, resting their head on Jin Ling's shoulder and kissed him on the cheek.

In his other hand, Su She dragged a person behind him. Once inside, he tossed the man to the ground. His vision shifted to Lan Wangji and Wei Wuxian, whom he had only just suffered a great loss too, as they loathed to part from each other.

Lan Tian eyed the body on the ground as they followed Jin Ling's motions and hid from Su She's direct gaze.

Knowing everyone there was at Jin Guangyao's will seemed to calm him as Su She put away his blade.

"What's going on?" Jin Guangyao questioned.

"I ran into him on the way," Su She explained. "I thought he might be useful, so I captured him."

"Don't be so rough, Minshan,"Jin Guangyao chided. "He's easily frightened and can't withstand falls."

Lan Tian quickly peeked over to look at Lan Wangji before motioning between Jin Guangyao and the man Su She was currently half hazardly dumping next to Lan Xichen. Lan Wangji quickly denied Lan Tian's query as they just shrugged in return.

"Yes, sir." Su She said after laying the man down.

Lan Tian raised an eyebrow back at Lan Wangji the moment Lan Xichen moved the man's hair to reveal Nie Huaisang.

Lan Xichen looked up. "Why have you detained Huaisang?"

Lan Tian and Jin Ling's eyes grew wide as they looked at each other with a smirk. They could hear a faint snicker from Wei Wuxian as Lan Wangji hit him on the arm.

"Having another family head here makes others more wary." Jin Guangyao replied. "But please rest assured, er-ge. You know how I've always treated Huaisang in the past. When the time is right, I will free you both without harming a single hair on your heads."

"Should I believe you?" Lan Xichen asked, his tone lukewarm.

"It's your choice, I suppose," Jin Guangyao said. "Regardless of whether you believe me or don't, there's nothing you can do about it, er-ge."

Lan Tian kept their gaze on Lan Xichen and his slight change in demeanor. They couldn't help but think, what does that mean for the rest of us?

Su She was over bothering Lan Wangji and Wei Wuxian when he caught Lan Tian's attention, "Has Hanguang-jun ever said he thought himself to be that amazing? If I remember correctly the Lan Clan even has an 'arrogance is prohibited' rule in their family precepts."

"How do you know what's in the Lan Clan precepts?" Jin Ling demaned.

Wei Wuxian stroked his chin. "Copy them enough times and you'll remember."

"And why were you copying the Lan Clan precepts?! It's not like you're..." Jin Ling blurted out before trailing off.

"At least now we know he isn't completely incapable of learning with that tiny brain of his." Lan Tian said twirling Jin Ling's hair around their fingertips.