Tune

WC: 806

By the time Lan Tian had tracked Lan Wangji, Wei Wuxian and Wen Ning down night had long since fallen and Lan Tian was barely standing.

"You said you saw two men one in white and one who was... lets say mischievous and may or may not have a drinking problem." Lan Tian asked with the softest smile they could muster.

The inn keeper stood wide eyed, staring at Lan Tian, "You're... not planning on murdering one of them are you?"

"What would make you think that?" They asked dropping their smile.

After a moment the man tried to laugh it off, "Um... they went up there, last door on the right."

"Thanks." They said walking up the stair case.

A figure sat in the corner of the corridor opposite of Lan Tian, "I wouldn't recommend getting any closer Ti Ti." he said as he speed walked away from Lan Wangji and Wei Wuxian's room.

Lan Tian stumbled slightly before bumping into the figure, "Wen Ning? What are you doing out here? Those two don't make you sleep outside like a dog, do they?"

"No it's not what you think... wait. Why are you here?" he asked as Lan Tian began moving towards Lan Wangji and Wei Wxian's room.

"I'm going to give them a piece of my mind."

"I wouldn't go near there if I were you..." he started.

"What could they possibly be going that could warrant that kind of..." The moment Lan Tian got within a meter of the door he wished he'd never stepped foot in this inn.

The splashing of water could be barely heard before Wei Wuxian's voice echoed through the hall. It was as if the hallway only served to amplify the words that would now forever be stuck in Lan Tian's head, along with the accompanying image they pictured. "Huanguang-jun, don't try to pretend you don't like it when I touch you like this!"

Lan Tian froze in place before turning 180 degrees and high tailing it out of there. The only thing that made it worse was how it sounded like the splashing was following them as they booked it down the stairs.

They ran and stopped at the inn keeper's desk, "Where is the farthest hotel away from that room."

"I'm sorry Daozhang but none of the other inns are open at this hour." He said once again staring in terror at Lan Tian

"You have got to be kidding me." They said banging their head on the table. "Fine, I'll take the farthest room away from those two."

Wen Ning patted Lan Tian on the shoulder, "You okay kid?"

"I don't think I will ever sleep again. Every time I close my eyes I see them... Please I just want to sleep." They begged reaching for their coin purse.

"Here, its the closest one on the left. Is there anything else I can do for you?" He asked the two standing in front of him. "Unless you can erase my memories, no." Lan Tian began walking towards the room before turning back to Wen Ning, "You coming? It has two beds no?"

The inn keeper nodded before Wen Ning shook his head, "No, sorry Ti Ti, I have to go somewhere..."

"It's fine. You don't have to explain it to me. Just wake me up before the love birds leave." They disappeared into the room closing the door behind them.

For a while Lan Tian was frozen, the only thing holding them up was the door behind them. "Well, now what?"

Lan Tian couldn't remember the last time he was well and truly alone. Even on the boat ride to get to the inn, and the trails, there were other travelers or people around, but now, there was no one. He'd always at least be some what around others, even when fighting with Lan Wangji he never strayed farther than a room away. It was weird.

Usually they could never stop thinking, to the point where they felt overwhelmed. Now in this room alone, it was quiet, everything was quiet.

Lan Tian quickly grabbed their drawing supplies and just let the ink flow. If they didn't do something to calm their nerves, they knew that disaster was imminent. The moment the lines began to take shape, Lan Tian could feel their body release. Slowly, their breath eased, their hands stopped shaking and the pressure on their chest dissipated.

After what felt like only a few minutes, Lan Tian found himself humming a familiar tune. It was the same one Lan Wangji played for him when searching for Wei Wuxian's soul, the one he hummed to put Lan Tian to sleep, and the one that led Lan Wangji to find out Wei Wuxian's identity. It was a tune that followed Lan Tian all their life, and it mean so much more to them than just a childhood memory. To Lan Tian the song meant love, hope, trust, comfort, and family.