Family Core Part 2

WC: 1394

"We have nothing to talk to you about!" Yi Weichun shouted.

"What do you mean?" Wei Wuxian asked. "I refused to believe you guys aren't curious about why you suddenly lost your powers. Heavens be my witness, I'm not powerful enough to affect all of you without anyone noticing."

"Ya but that brat next to you does! Sh..." A small cultivator shouted pointing at Lan Tian.

Within moments Lan Tian's sword Ortis was only a few hairs away from that cultivators face, "Didn't anyone ever tell you it's rude to address people improperly Da-o-zhang." With each syllable of the title Ortis moved slightly closer and farther as the cultivator began to back up, "I'd choose your next words wisely you never know what could happen..."

"Lan Tian enough." Lan Wangji's words struck through the growing tension as Ortis retuned to Lan Tian's hand.

Lan Tian was frustrated with the other cultivators, with Jiang Cheng, with everyone but most of all with his father. They didn't understand how Lan Wangji and Wei Wuxian couldn't see that they were doing this for their sake. Lan Tian thought that if everyone would just hate them then their father and Wei Wuxian might be able to live a more quiet life since they'd been apart so long. He saw how happy his father had been since Wei Wuxian came back and just wanted his father to be able to stay this way, even at his own expence. It was eaiser that way, then he'd be the only one suffering. Either way he could sense that things couldn't stay this way for much longer, so why couldn't he be the one to give this time instead?

"Regardless," Wei Wuxian cut in, "I bet none of you had time to sit down and eat before heading off to besiege me, so it couldn't have been poison." He continued.

"Its definitely not poison," Lan Sizhui joined in. "I've never heard of a poison that can impair spiritual power so suddenly. If such a poison existed, it would fetch a hefty sum, it would he highly sought after by any cultivators, and word of it's existence would spread like wildfire."

Many of the cultivators present were doctors and took aside a few test subjects. Afterward, the test subject asked if the impairment was permanent. the doctors conferred and concluded there was no permanent damage to their spiritual cores. They determined that after four hours they would regain it but it still sent the whole cave into a panic.

It didn't take long for the group to come to the realization that there were only a few people who's powers hadn't been impaired and their gaze settled on none other than the group of three.

"Don't look at me like that. The only people who have their spiritual powers are the other juniors and the three of us do you not think that your juniors could take us on? Do you think that little of them and your own teaching?" Lan Tian stood up with their arms crossed.

Su She humphed. "Enough talk. Kill us if you must. If the people here are heroes, they won't cry out. Don't expect anyone to beg for your mercy either."

The moment he spoke, quite a number of people started grumbling. Lan Tian tried to hide their smile and scoff as the people around Su She seemed not to share his same sentiment.

Wei Wuxian glanced at him. "Real sorry, but who are you again?"

Veins bulged on Su She's forehead. He was just about to answer when Lan Jingyi loudly voiced a question.

"And then what? If it's not poison, what is it?"

Having the topic been changed Lan Tian lost all interest and began examining the cave. They slowly walked towards the array on the ground to examine it. As they moved everyone else moved as well keeping a wide circle around them watching diligently. It was on old array was almost warren at some places and the quick repair job did it barely any good. Honestly from their own knowledge they were shocked it worked at all.

Lan Tian reached down to fix it when they felt a sword come near their head, "All right fine. I won't touch the stupid thing but don't blame me when it breaks." He raised his hands by his head before walking away.

Lan Tian came back to a red faced Su She gawking at his own lack of speech.

"Go on," Lan Tian teased, "Did you choke on the slanderous donkey shit you were spewing?"

The sect disciples of the Su Clan of Moling all shot to their feet. "Sect Leader!"

"Sect Leader what's wrong?"

Su She brushed aside the sect disciples who came to assist him. He raised his hand, first to point at Wei Wuxian, then at Lan Wangji.

The sect disciples nearest to him fumed. "Wei Wuxian. What evil spells have you cast?!"

Lan Tian mumbled under his breath, "Clearly you wouldn't know cause I don't know anyone who would love you..."

"That isn't an evil spell!" Lan Sizhui spoke over Lan Tian, "This is... It's..."

Lan Wangji had been sitting to the side, poised and proper diligently keeping an eye on his two trouble makers. He pressed his right hand to his guqin's seven strings, halting their vibrations. The babbling sect disciples suddenly made sounds like ducks being choked, and their clamor came to an abrupt end.

All the Lan's present thought to themselves, 'That's the Lan Clan silence spell...'

Jin Ling watched Lan Tian abruptly freeze before standing up and walking to sit beside their father in an identical stance. They only looked straight to the ground and closed their eyes before Lan Wangji gave them only a momentary glance. Jin Ling felt uneasy watching the scene unfolding before him. To him it looked like Lan Tian was a small child being scolded by his father for some big embarrassment.

Regardless Lan Wangji waited until quiet returned to the clamorous Demon-Quelling Cave before he turned to Wei Wuxian.

"Continue."

Lan Tian slightly jumped at Lan Wangji's words, he could feel him staring at him as he sat there as still as possible. They tried to calm their shaking body as Su She struggled and pleaded against the silencing spell.

Lan Qiren however, to everyone's surprise, remained stone-faced and didn't spare Su She a single glance. If Lan Qiren released the spell, put of respect for his position, Lan Wangji would not have cast it again. But there was much discontent between the Su Clan of Moling and the Lan Clan of Gusu, which was why Lan Qiren offered no help to the distressed and dissatisfied Su She.

Everyone present had now come to a silent understanding. It was now known that If anyone attempted to quarrel with Wei Wuxian, Lan Wangji would seal their mouth. That alone terrified most of the crowd into silence. However, there was still those brave few who stepped forwards despite the terrifying glare of death.

As such, one very brave soul mocked, "Wei Wuxian- as expected of the Yiling Patriarch, eh? Such a bully. You're not even gonna let people talk now? At least one of your guard dogs have been leashed..."

"How weird," Wei Wuxian said.

"What's weird, Wei qianbei?" Lan Sizhui asked.

"Sect Leader Su... weird since earlier," Wei Wuxian's voice began to waiver as Lan Tian sat, eyes closed, trying to concentrate on the scene before them. "...corpses attached... everyone who's lost their spiritual powers... hurry off to their deaths...."

Lan Tian could no longer hear anything other than the thump of his own chest and a strange ringing coming from his sword. No it wasn't his sword it was a blade, a small one but a familiar one. They could feel the ground begin to tilt. Lan Tian immediately placed their hands on the ground and their eyes shot open. It wasn't the ground that was tilting, it was Lan Tian!

"Mhm?" Lan Tian could hear Lan Wangji's concerned small question but they didn't have a chance to respond.

Lan Tian's vision when bright white and all the sounds around them were suddenly amplified.

"WHAT'S THE LOGIC HERE! IS THIS HOW AN ALLY SHOULD BEHAVE?!" Wei Wuxian's voice thundered in their head. Lan Tian's hands shot to his head.

Lan Tian felt a noise so overwhelming it took over the rest of their senses. It was a thundering, rhythmic yet random THUMP, TH-THUMP. It kept repeating over and over as it overlapped with other thumping and competed for dominance in their head.