The Vindictive

*Jin Ling's dead mom, Jiang Yanli*

WC:1013

When Lan Wangji and Wei Wuxian reached the fortress neither Jin Ling or Lan Tian could be found. In fact there was no evidence that Lan Tian had been there at all. Their parent were concerned though as they just assumed Lan Tian had gotten lost in the maze before they broke it. He would be there in a matter of seconds, right?

It was not until after they found Jin Ling in the walls of the fortress that Lan Wangji and Wei Wuxian began to panic. After all they were their child, he could handle himself, or so they thought.

Wei Wuxian noticed the black spirit dog held a piece of cloth in its teeth. When Lan Wangji passed the fabric over to Wei Wuxian he analyzed the situation and demtermined, "They're not far away, chase after them!"

However Lan Wangji said, "No need. I know who it is."

"Me too." Wei Wuxian said m. "The same people who spread the Xinglu Ridge rumours, unleashed the walking corpses, set up the maze array, and built a stone fortress. And those savers. But if we don't catch them now, it'll be hard to track them down later."

"I will give chase. You and Jin Ling?" Lan Wangji asked.

"I'll take him down Xinglu Ridge and find a place in Qinghe to settle him. The place where we ran into that quack doctor, let's meet up there, hopefully all four of us will be there."

The exchange was extremely rushed, and Lan Wangji only paused for a moment.

Wei Wuxian added, "Go on. Take any longer and they'll get away. Go save your child."

Wei Wuxian carried Jin Ling down the ridge until he was in the room and taking off Jim Ling's boots. On his calf there seemed to be a patch of shadow. Wei Wuxian crouched down and rolled his pant leg up. He discovered it wasn't a shadow but a bruise from the mark of and evil curse.

Jin Ling's entire leg had turned black and was still moving upward.

Jin Ling then opened his eyes, he was dazed off a while then snapped awake and exclaimed, "WH-WH-WH-WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!"

Wei Wuxian laughed. "Aiyoh, yore awake."

"What we're you gonna do?! Where are my clothes?! Where's my sword?! Where's my dog?!"

"I was just going to dress you," Wei Wuxian said.

"I'm NOT gay!"

"Sure you're not, but what a coincidence, I am!" Wei Wuxian was delighted. "What are you scared for? It's just a joke! I worked so hard to dig you out of that wall, aren't you even going to say thanks?"

————

Lan Tian had no clue what was going on, he was utterly clueless. All he knew was a few moments ago he was calling out for Jin Ling, then the next they were here m, half awake and being dragged by high level walking corpses. Of course, this always had to happen when something important came up. Careful not to move too quickly and raise alarms, Lan Tian glanced down to see they still had both his sword and flute. Good, it was possible to escape, right?

They heard the call of something or someone in the distance, just a faint melody, of words or music, Lan Tian could not tell. The resentful energy became more dense the farther they went, he knew that soon it would be suffocating, with no other choice he came up with a plan.

After two hundred and twenty four steps Lan Tian knew it was time to act. He sweeper his right leg under the corpse to the right, tripping it. Then, they simultaneously grabbed their sword with their right hand and pushed the second corpse off balance. After that he ran as far and as fast as they could, sword in hand. It wasn't long before they had to stop for a break but within moments the adrenaline left his body. They quickly shoved their sword in his belt and stumbled forward. Slowly their vision got darker but he managed to cough out the words "Help me..."

———

After Jin Ling's jail break of Wei Wuxian, the two were exchanging words somewhat like normal people.

Wei Wuxian smiled and was about to speak when his face suddenly changed colours.

He exclaimed, stunned, "Jiang Cheng? You!"

Jin Ling had stolen Zidian and released the man. He was already feeling jumpy. The moment he heard that name, he spun around in a hurry, and Wei Wuxian took the chance to hand- chop his neck.

He laid Jin Ling down in the ground and rolled up his trouser cuff to inspect the curse mark on his leg. He tried a few methods but none made the mark fade. Knowing this to be a troublesome affliction, he let out a sigh a moment later.

While he couldn't dissolve the curse mark, he could transfer it onto his own body.

It was a while before Jin Ling slowly came to. He felt his neck where a slight pain still lingered. He was so angry he kept up and pulled his sword on the spot.

"You actually hit me! Not even my uncle has hit me before!"

Wei Wuxian was shocked. "Really? Didn't he always say he was going to break your legs?"

"He's all talk!" Jin Ling Exclaimed furiously. "You damned crazy man, what are you up to, I..."

Wei Wuxian hugged his head and cried at a target behind Jin Ling "Ah! Hanguang-jun!"

Being far more scared of Lan Wangji than his Uncle, Jin Ling turned and fled yelling, "You damn idiot! Cursed lunatic! I'll remember this! We're not done!"

Wei Wuxian slowly walked to the place where he and Lan Wangji had agreed to meet. There were barely any lights and no one on the streets at night. He didn't need to look around: that white-clad form was standing at the end of the long street, his head hanging slightly unmoving.

Lan Wangji's head darted up towards Wei Wuxian before he became panicked not seeing his
Child anywhere.