The Forest Trees Part 2

WC:936

Jin Ling cut in, "We've been following the road straight forward."

"And I assume you've tried flying in your swords above the clouds?" Lan Tian looked at the nodding heads of the clan juniors.

Lan Tian did everything possible to try and block out the bickering of Jin Ling and Wei Wuxian. He closed his eyes and focused on everything around him. They pushed their life force into the ground and slowed his breathing. They could feel the pull of something deep inside himself pulling him in one direction, and without hesitation they followed.

Step after step Lan Tian's feet slid across the ground as they followed the path that was not built into stone.

^^^

"How is Fairy fat?!" Jin Ling retorted furiously. "I dare you to find another spirit dog more agile. Just ask Lan Tian... right Ti Ti!?" All of a sudden, everything went quiet.

A few moments later Wei Wuxian asked, "Is anyone still here?"

There were a few waves and murmurs until Jin Ling spoke up, "Lan Tian! Are you still here?"

Nothing but silence answered.

Lan Wangji replied coldly, "Clamor. Lan Tian?"

...he'd silenced everyone but Jin Ling and Wei Wuxian. And in that moment they heard footsteps on the right, in front, on the left, behind them-all around. The stench of rot had already filled the air.

Panicking Jin Ling could only think about Lan Tian, what had happened to him, where did they go? As he heard a whistle and saw the corpses faulted for a moment, Jin Ling darted into the fog looking for any sign of Lan Tian.

Jin Ling wondered aimlessly softly calling Lan Tian's name. He only stopped when he ears laboured breathing in front of him. It had to be Lan Tian or the group, he hadn't seen anyone else in here. "Ti Ti, why did you run off like that."

The figure in the fog seemed to have a foreign silhouette to Jin Ling, it didn't look like Lan Tian. The alarms were too skinny and their body was too tall.

He slowly began to walk backwards when he felt warm hair brush past his ear. "Hold your breath." The soft tones of a calm voice washed over Jin Ling and he did as asked.

Within what seemed like a fraction of a moment the figure in front of Jin Ling exploded and he was pulled firmly away by the sleeve.

"You didn't inhale any of it did you?" Jin Ling had to do a double take when he saw Lan Tian patting down his body looking for injury. "You look okay, what are you doing out here?"

"I...you...what?" Jin Ling was at a loss, within the last who knows how long so many things had just happened and he felt overwhelmed. "Why did you run off?"

"I don't know. I guess I felt a little tingle, no not a tingle, a pull. Like the universe want me to take this path." Lan Tian closed his eyes and grabbed Jin Ling's arm pulling him through the fog.

"How the heck do you know where you're going?" Jin Ling tried to notice a pattern, a sound, a feeling, anything but found nothing to explain how Lan Tian knew where they were going.

Lan Tian paused, "It doesn't matter."

"Yes it does. You just saved my life and can navigate this fog like you have a sixth sense." Jin Ling needed to know how. He had to.

"You wouldn't like it even if I told you. I... I can't loose you, so I can't tell you." Lan Tian continued dragging Jin Ling not giving in.

However, Jin Ling was not about to give up. "That's nonsense. You're my... best... friend, there's no way that would happen. As long as you're not Wei Wuxian or practicing the demonic arts... you're not the Yiling Patriarch or practicing the demonic arts are you?"

"I... I'm not Wei Wuxian..." Lan Tian slowed down slightly.

"Lan Tian. You're not practicing demonic cultivation right. Please tell me I'm right... Lan Tian!" Jin Ling became frozen as the air filled with a black dense smoke seeming to originate from Lan Tian.

They slowly turned to face akin Ling, "I'm sorry. I would have told you but... I can't loose you. I knew you'd hate me, and I can't live without you." A single tear slowly inches down his face. "You mean so much to me."

"No." Jin Ling walked back slowly shaking his head. "You wouldn't. You know what Wei Wuxian and the demonic arts did to my parents. How could you?"

"I didn't choose this! It's always been there and I can't live without it." Lan Tian frantically tried everything he could to keep Jin Ling on his side. "You don't understand! I tried. I tried so hard but the longer I was away from resentful energy, the more my life force diminished. Then when I'm around too much I have to use it or I feel like I'll explode."

Jin Ling stared in horror at Lan Tian. "Get away from me."

"Jin Ling..."

"GO!"

Lan Tian pointed behind him, "They're that way."

Jin Ling could hear the group yelling and talking. The two crossed by each other before going in separate ways. Lan Tian couldn't help be notice the uncomfortable pit in their stomach. I'm not strong enough. Not yet. I can't protect them like this no matter how hard I try. Even if Jin Ling didn't want Lan Tian's help, he knew that he needed to do everything to kept Jin Ling alive, no matter what.