Tree -2

WC: 999

Lan Tian was floating, or falling. Either way it was hard to tell. With no ground insight and not a sound to be heard, did it really even matter? They didn't know how long they had been in this eternal prison, or what they even did to end up here but they really didn't care anymore. All the crying and questioning had happened what felt like hundreds of years before.

"So this was what death feels like." Despite saying it thousands of times before and the absence of sound able to emerge from his mouth, it still brought some for of comfort to the teen.

At least now they wouldn't be in pain. Sure they were alone, but at least they couldn't hurt others or be hurt. It was kind of nice. The ache that they constantly felt in their joints after a long battle, gone. The intense pain from a cut on their abdomen that they got who knows when, gone. It was all so peaceful. No more fighting, weird looks, hurtful words or struggle.

He couldn't help but wonder, "Is this what its like to be free?"

"quickly...."

Yes this must be freedom. The absence of worry or fear, the pressure finally off their chest allowing them to breathe for the first time in what felt like forever.

"...we can't leave them alone in there much longer..."

The small voice that they heard when they first arrived in this place echoed once again in their ear, hungry for answers. "What is you biggest regret?"

"Regret?" Lan Tian mimicked the voice with the motion of their lips. "I... I regret..."

"...this is the only way..."

"I wish I said goodbye to everyone. I probably should have been nicer to Wei Wuxian and my Dad too. I think even Jiang Cheng deserved some more respect on my part, I never truly hated him." Lan Tian stared into the dark expansive nothingness surrounding them. "I should have hugged Jin Ling harder, told him I love him then ran away together like we promised. I know it was just childhood naivety but I still long for our quiet life in the mountains where no one would bother us."

"...you did the right thing..."

"You know you never belonged in this world. You were never meant to make it this far child." The voice began to materialize before Lan Tian's eyes. Light flooded their vision as ropes of silver butterflies began wrapping around them as a red figure overtook their vision.

"I know it's greedy of me but I still wish I had a little more time." Lan Tian reached out as a single red eye gazed at them softly.

"In many ways, we all wish we had a little more time with the ones we love. Luckily for you, you still have a few people who need you on this plane of existence."

Just as the figure was pushing Lan Tian away and back towards a place of bright light and loud noise, Lan Tian grasped the figure embracing them in a hug, "I wish I could be like you, you seem happy and strong."

The figure froze before glancing down at the small teen, "You have no need to be like me, you already have the one you love, and they love you in return. However, I do still need you're help to find the one I... That is why when the time comes I will gladly welcome you by my side."

========

Consciousness came to Lan Tian violently. His skin crawled as the wind played in his overcoat, but the onslaught of noise from the leaves above him made his body recoil. However, their hands stayed in place tied behind their back and their legs were tied together and fastened on the tree behind them. It took a few tries for Lan Tian to wiggle into a seated position against the tree. 

Lan tian could hear  a faint clanking sound of something hard hitting wood but only realized its origin when they looked up. On the highest branch of the tree sat their sword hanging slightly to their right. His vision felt attracted to the building slightly to their right where most of the people they loved were probably fighting for their lives. All they could think was that it wasn't fair, they were just as able to help as anyone else, even better in many ways. Why were they always treated like this?

A faint sentence echoed in their head, "You were never meant to make it this far..." what was that supposed to mean? Lan Tian began searching his memory trying to find anything else that could explain those words but all their other memory of that dream was hazy at best. Was it even a dream? Maybe some close to death hallucination of some kind. Did it even happen?

"Looks like you could use some help." A tall figure dressed in red approached Lan Tian with a mischievous smile.

Lan Tian examined the figure, his long black hair fell gracefully over his shoulders, while his red clothing made him stand out against his green surrounds. On his should sat a single silver butterfly calmly flapping its wings to the sound of Lan Tian's heart beat. "Who are you?" They asked glancing up at the figure.

He reached to his side a pulled out the scimitar hanging by his hip, "You see usually I wouldn't interfere with these sorts of things but I have a lot of... interest in you."

The man quickly broke both the bindings holding Lan Tian before turning away. "Wait!" Lan Tian shouted at the man, "Please tell me why you helped me?"

The man smirked, "Lets just say... you and your little boyfriend remind me of someone, or more something that could have been. I have great hopes for your future Lan Tian, I can't wait for the day you will stand by my side." The man didn't turn back but Lan Tian could only faintly make out the words he seemed to whisper to the sky above, "It won't be long now Gege."