The Wind and the Leaves part 3

WC: 1251

Song Lan lightly vaulted off the table and flipped in the air landing on top.

Wen Ning, his body weighed down with chains, crashed heavily through the door. With him came a gust of white fog and black wind.

Lan Tian and Wei Wuxian tried to summon Wen Ning earlier trying to instruct him to save the juniors outside.

Wen Ning swung a chain at Song Lan, who drew a whisk to parry. When they collided the chains become entangled and would not come apart. Wen Ning began to retreat and Song Lan had no choice but to be dragged along as neither wanted to, or could, get rid of their weapons. The juniors however, were luckily already hiding in a nearby store unblinking. The battle was enthralling as sword met chain and chain met whisk.

"Guess who's gonna win?" Xue Yang asked.

"Is there a need to guess? It'll be Wen Ning for sure," Wei Wuxian replied.

Mid sentence Xue Yang drew his sword and lunged. Wei Wuxian dodged but Lan Tian didn't. The sword grazed his right arm but Lan Tian didn't show any sign of pain or life.

Lan Tian could only partially focus on what was going on around them. They heard bits and pieces of conversation and movement but it felt as if it was a thousand miles away. Lan Tian could feel something wet slowly make it's way down his arm and when he moved his eyes ever so slightly, they saw crimson gleaming back at them. Oh is that my blood or someone else's? Was I injured? Oh well, is this even my body? Who am I? Lan Tian's thoughts were lazy and slow to come and go.

They watched as Xue Yang lunged once again for Wei Wuxian but all three knew there was no way for Wei Wuxian to dodge it this time. Before Lan Tian knew what he was doing, he lunged in front of Wei Wuxian and looked at Xue Yang while slashing the air in front of him. Xue Yang faltered as he looked into the deep black eyes that appeared before him and he got pushed back with amazing force. Xue Yang was sure that this meant what he thought it did especially due to Lan Tian's eyes going fully black.

"So it is true." He smirked.

Wei Wuxian turned Lan Tian around to face him and was stunned by the darkness in their eyes. "It's you..." he mumbled.

A streak of white descended from the sky, and the icy cold, clear blue light of Bichen came striking at him. Lan Wangji blocked Xue Yang's attack form hitting the pair. Be fire crossing him in full on battle.

Xue Yang got an idea and pulled a long sword from his robes and began to fight duel handed.

Wei Wuxian stared into Lan Tian's eyes as they slowly shifted back to their original colour. "Are you okay?" Wei Wuxian asked.

Nodding Lan Tian grabbed his head, "Ya, I just have a bad headache. What happened? It's all kind of a bright blur."

"Neither of you are needed here, stand back." Lan Wangji continued fighting the man as Wei Wuxian helped Lan Tian out of the building.

"Doesn't look like we're needed here either I guess." Lan Tian watched as Wen Ning and Song Lan battled with Wen Ning slightly over powering Song Lan.

Lan Tian was about to ask about the juniors when they saw Lan Jingyi waving wildly in their direction. "Let's go over there." Wei Wuxian motioned.

Just as they were about to go, Xue Yang dropped a blade, Shuanghua, and Lan Wangji picked it up.

Wei Wuxian and Lan Tian ran towards the juniors, "Everyone alright? Wei Wuxian asked.

"We all listened and held our breath."

"Good." Wei Wuxian said.

Just then foot steps were heard all around them. Lan Wangji began playing his guqin and partying Xue Yang at the same time.

Lan Tian knew what he was doing so he pulled out his flute and walked into the street echoing Lan Wangji slowly before taking over the melody then the song entirely.

Everyone gawked at Lan Wangji's talent and power as he multitasked. For a moment everyone knew with out a doubt that he was one of the most powerful cultivators alive.

The bamboo pole echoed once again through the air. "Go!" Wei Wuxian decided that this was the best option for now.

"Go where?" Lan Jingyi asked.

"Follow the sound of the bamboo pole." Wei Wuxian said.

"Who knows where she'll lead us?" Jin Ling protested.

Lan Tian gave a nod to his dad before turning and dragging Jin Ling towards the phantom girl.

"Hey!" Jin Ling exclaimed.

"Do you have any better ideas!?" Lan Tian snapped before continuing with the others following closely. "Look, she was trying to guide people away too keep them safe."

Wei Wuxian added, "And Clearly those two aren't working together, so what else is there to do?"

"She was definitely hiding from Xue Yang, which means we can probably trust her." Lan Tian kept following the girl while using their own new mysterious power to help guide them.

"Wait Xue Yang was there too?"

"Uh, I'll explain that later." Wei Wuxian said.

The the group hurried their speed blindly following the ghost, Lan Tian and Wei Wuxian.

They soon reached an old house with high thresholds, and many talismans. Jin Ling heaved a breath before lightly tugging Lan Tian back towards him and motioning for them to step to the side.

"We need to talk." Jin Ling guided them towards an area beside the house. "You know what happened to my parents better than anyone, yet you still insist on practicing this demonic cultivation?"

Lan Tian sighed before responding, "I told you this already, I don't have a choice! This is just a part of who I am. I'd stop if I could honestly, you just don't understand..."

"What don't I understand Lan Tian? What is it that's so Earth shattering that I wouldn't understand?" Jin Ling's voice raised slightly as his frustration grew.

"This is just who I am. And trust me I tried I tried so hard to quit it for you! All because I... I don't want to loose you, I can't loose you Jin Ling!" Jin Ling watched as Lan Tian's eyes began to blur.

"Ti Ti..."

"No. My dad fell in love but he waited too long, he let his own principles get in the way. He still regrets letting the love of his life go without even telling them he loved them. I cant do that. I refuse to." Jin Ling reached out but Lan Tian took a step back. "I tried so hard to change for you. I really truly tried, but..."

Jin Ling grabbed Lan Tian's hand, "I really like you too."

Lan Tian's head shot up as they looked into Jin Ling's eyes. "You..."

"If this is all really how you say it is then, we'll find a way. We'll find someone or something to teach you how to control it. I was trying to think of a way this whole time because the more I thought about life without you... the more I realized there is no life without you. I.. can't loose you either."

Lan Tian embraced Jin Ling as tears fell from both their eyes. They stood there for a moment just feeling, for only just a moment, like all was right in the world.