Charming the masses Part 2

WC:1108

Lan Tian kept glancing at his father as he sat staring at Wei Wuxian's body. It made them happy that Lan Wangji was happy, he deserved it.

However, this gave Lan Tian the perfect chance to sneak out to see his own happiness. Slowly Lan Tian slid through the window sill, twisting and gliding until he reached Jin Ling's room.

Lan Tian watched as Jin Ling sat reading a book on his reading chair. He couldn't help but acknowledge how much older he looked in it. Lan Tian found a crack in his window and slipped into the room.

A large shadow crossed Jin Ling's vision as the single candle lit the room. It seemed too small for a person but too big for an animal. He glanced around scanning every inch but found nothing. With a short sigh he returned to his book before noticing a small paper cut out lying on his book. With curiosity he examined it and as he went to grab it the cut out stood and seemed to look up at him.

"Huh?" He jumped back slightly dropping the book.

The cut out flew through the air landing on his lap before finding its way to his hand. The cut out tried to move his sleeve and seemed to be grabbing something in his clothes. "What are you..?"

Jin Ling stops as the cut out points to the ribbon Lan Tian gave him. "Ti Ti is that you?"

The paper cut out nods before jumping to rest leaning on his cheek.

The two spend some time goofing around as Lan Tian glided around the room. Suddenly the paper drops to the ground lifeless before slowly getting back up. Lan Tian motions to the door and mimics a mother carrying a child.

"To your Dad's room?" Jin Ling asks. The moment Lan Tian nods, Jin Ling picks up Lan Tian and moved quickly through the halls. "This one right?"

Lan Tian waves before sliding back into the room. The moment the effigy touched his body, Lan Tian woke up gasping for air. Seconds later Wei Wuxian followed.

"Why?" Lan Wangji sat still glaring at Lan Tian.

"Why what?" They brushed off their clothes before standing.

Wei Wuxian glanced between the two trying to discern their meaning.

"You left. Why?" Lan Wangji's voice became slightly laced with anger.

Lan Tian scoffed, "I'm not a kid anymore Dad. My eighteenth birthday is tomorrow, I'm not your little child anymore."

"You are still young and learning." Wei Wuxian had never seen Lan Wangji like this before, he was visibly angry, and was showing so many emotions.

Lan Tian laughed, "Ha! Jin Ling is barely 12 months older than me and you don't see his Uncle treating him like a kid! I can take care of myself now! I don't need you to protect me!"

"You will always need me to protect you. I am your father, not Jin Ling's, not anyone else's, yours. I can raise you how I see fit." Lan Wangji huffed quietly. "Besides that demonic cultivation won't help you, you know what it did to Wei Wuxian and you still chose to do it."

"That's right I chose to because I could. I can make my own decisions!" Lan Tian's voice just kept getting louder with every word.

"Well I wish you never met Wei Wuxian and you never started practicing the demonic arts." Lan Wangji raised his voice as well.

"Well then I wish... I wish who ever put me on your door step would have put me anywhere else, I wish you weren't my father, you didn't raise me and you NEVER pretended to care about me." In that moment Lan Tian knew he had fucked up. He said something he could never take back and he hurt the person he most cared about in the world.

"I'm sorry... Dad I..." Lan Tian looked down and tried to back tack but was stopped.

"Enough, go to your room."

"But..."

"Go."

"Fine." Lan Tian stormed into his room slamming the door behind him as Lan Wangji grabbed the bottle of Wei Wuxian's liquor and downed a glass.

Lan Tian could hear the two adults talking and rushing out the door. It only took him a second to decide so he jumped out the window of his room and stalked the pair from outside the building. They followed as the pair kicked up a lot of noise and gained a large audience.

Jin Ling was the first to arrive and Lan Tian made sure not to be seen as they crawled through a window and hid in the crowd. He watched as they entered the secret chamber making sure to stay near the end of the group that was entering.

Jin Guangyao started waving around a dagger, formerly owned by Wen Ruohan, that was dripping with yin energy. Lan Tian could feel the dagger calling to him, feel the pull of its energy towards theirs.

It wasn't until the dagger was deep in Jin Guangyao's body that the pull turned more violent. It felt as if the dagger was a part them that they were missing. Lan Tian began to push through the audience making his way towards the dagger.

"The Yiling Patriarch!" Someone yelled from what seemed like miles away. People began yelling and fighting but Lan Tian payed them no attention.

Within a moment while everyone else was distracted Lan Tian snatched the blade from the dead body and jumped out of the window, that coincidentally was the same one Wei Wuxian and Lan Wangji just jumped out of, and began running. It didn't take long for him to catch up with the two while he was running at full speed.

"Lan Tian?" Wei Wuxian questioned. He looked for a response but Lan Tian seemed completely unresponsive to everything around them. "Lan Tian?" He tried again.

Wei Wuxian and Lan Wangji's eyes widened when they saw the dagger in Lan Tian's hand. They were even more shocked when Lan Tian ran face first into Jin Ling.

"Urg." Jin Ling rubbed his head while helping Lan Tian up. "Are you really Wei Yin-Wei Wuxian?!"

As the group tried to move around him, Jin Ling stabbed Wei Wuxian in his stomach and Lan Tian instinctively slashed Jin Ling's arm before tossing the dagger.

"Oh, no! I'm so sorry I didn't... I don't..." Lan Tian tries to reach for Jin Ling but he backed away.

Lan Wangji picks up Wei Wuxian on his back, grabs the dagger and pulled Lan Tian along before the three disappeared into the night.

"Jin Ling! I'm sorry..."