Family Core Part 1

WC:1169

The Nightless City Massacre- that was what they called the bloody battle on the night of the Pledge Rally.

Lan Tian and Jin Ling separated quickly once more cultivators began swarming before the Demon-Quelling Cave. Lan Tian stood up and offered Jin Ling his hand up. Lan Tian started to pull away their hand when they found Jin Ling still on the other end of it not letting go.

"What are you doing you idiot?" Lan Tian asked, both of their faces growing brighter.

Jin Ling leaned in closer, "Can I not hold my life partner's hand?" he leaned slightly down to rest his head on Lan Tian's shoulder before moving fully behind to engulf them in a back hug. "That is of course if you'll still have me?"

"I love you Jin Jin." Lan Tian mumbled just loud enough for Jin Ling to hear.

Jin Ling huffed slightly burying his head in Lan Tian's shoulder, "I would give you my everything even if it only made you barely smile one time."

"I know you would, that's why I care so much for you..." Lan Tian took a breath to try and remember this moment forever, "That's why I need you to go with the others, you'll be happier, and then you can grow to be the best cultivator in the world. You said you'd do anything for me, and now I need you to leave."

Jin Ling hugged Lan Tian tighter, "No. If I leave you could die. My Uncle probably won't try to impale you if I'm close to you." he huffed with a small smile, "I don't want you to get hurt."

"And I can't loose you. Listen to what they're saying. Everyone is hating on Wei-gongzi and me. They're talking about the Tiger Tally, it's only a matter of time before it ends up focusing on me too." Lan Tian peeled Jin Ling off themselves before pushing him to the crowd. "Besides, if I am to die, I'd want it to be you who killed me. That way yours will be the last face I see."

Just as the two separated a new crowd of walking corpses attacked. "I already told you," Wei Wuxian reiterated. "Those fierce corpses aren't under my control. If you've got time to look at me, why not pay attention to them instead?"

They all turned to look at Lan Tian, "Don't look at me." They said with their hands up.

There were quite a few accomplished cultivators present, including several clan leaders and elders. A mob of fierce corpses presented no threat. Sword glares and quqin notes shot forth alike, and most people were too preoccupied to care what was happening at the cave entrance.

Jiang Chen reduced three fierce corpses to dust with a single lash of his whip. He turned to Jin Ling and snapped, "Jin Ling! Are you looking to have your legs broken? Get away from those demonic no goods."

"Tch." Lan Tian scoffed even at a time like this Jiang Chen was as hateful as ever it seemed to them. to their surprise Jin Ling just shot a glance towards Jiang Cheng and did not move from his spot slightly away from Lan Tian.

Having had enough of Jin Ling's little childhood crush Jiang Cheng cursed and turned his wrist, aiming to ensnare Jin Ling with Zidian and bring him back by force. Seeing this Lan Tian quickly grabbed Jin Ling's arm and pulled him behind them while turning their own body to face away form Zidian and towards Jin Ling.

"Wh.." Jin Ling tried to protest as Lan Tian braced for the incoming lash but no such thing came. It seemed the light from Zidian had dimmed and was completely extinguished within a few seconds.

It was in that moment that both of the youth also realized the position they were in. Lan Tian stood facing Jin Ling with their hands planted on the wall behind Jin Ling and their faces only millimeters apart. Both their faces flared red before they quickly turned away muttering apologies in shock.

Jin Ling quickly noticed the blood Jiang Cheng had smeared on his hand. "Jiujiu!" He cried out.

"What the heck is going on?" Lan Tian examined the room of cultivators as some bled from their noses and mouths and others gawked at the lack of spiritual energy in their swords and bodies. As if the situation couldn't be worse it seemed the fierce corpses were only growing in number and the group began collection closer and in smaller clumps.

Lan Tian watched the group panic and plan while trying to come up with their own course of action. If they could figure out how the cultivators lost their spiritual energy then they might be able to fix it or at least find the culprit.

Wei Wuxian yelled at the indecisive group, "It's death outside, it's death inside. You die either way, but you might be able to buy a little time if you head on in. Why are you eager for everyone to die together?"

Lan Tian went to the front time to buy sometime for everyone else, "Go or don't but I'll give you to the count of thirty to decide... 1...2..." After the main clans, Jin Clan of Lanling, the Lan Clan of Gusu, the Nie Clan of Qinghe , and the Jiang Clan of Yunmeng were all inside the other clans followed. Lan Tian and Lan Wangji both retreated with the group while doing what they could to buy time.

There was plenty of room for all thousand-plus cultivators to fit in the Demon Quelling Cave. The other cultivators had just began to relax when they saw the black and white pair of Lan Wangji and Wuxian enter the cave. How the tables had turned. Lan Tian couldn't help but admire the irony of the situation, those to had come to siege the group had found themselves surrounded. It was almost comical.

Lan Tian followed and entered last making direct eye contact with anyone who dared to try and intimidate them with their own gaze. Slowly a smirk formed on their soft features as they raised an eyebrow. "I know I'm amazing to look at but you could at least try to hide your envy." He said sauntering towards their father.

Lan Tian watched as Lan Qiren moved to block the group of three's path towards the array. "Do you think that little of us Shufu?" They asked receving a side glare from Lan Wangji.

"...Shufu," Lan Wangji greeted.

Lan Qiren's disappointment had yet to recede. For now, he still couldn't bring himself to look at his favorite pupil, whom he had taught since childhood let alone even acknowledge Lan Tian's presence. He instead looked at Wei Wuxian and coldly demanded, "What, exactly, do you want?"

Lan Tian scoffed and chose a spot near the boarder of the barrier from the array. He then sat down as dramatically as he could before putting his hand behind his head and laying down.

Wei Wuxian sat down on the steps away from Lan Tian. "Nothing, Since we're all inside now, let's chat..."