The Wind and the Leaves part 2

WC:1157

Lan Sizhui plucked out the first verse. Who are you?

As two notes echoed back Lan Tian could see an image of the man looking back at himself in a lake before he died. "It's Song Lan!" Lan Sizhui relayed.

So he was the best friend of the man unconscious on the floor that they though was Xiao Xingchen.

"Ask him who killed him." Wei Wuxian said.

Lan Sizhui played the verse and the group waited for several heart beats before a response was heard. As the notes rang out Lan Tian and Lan Sizhui both gasped. "Impossible!" They muttered.

"Who was it?" Wei Wuxian asked.

"Xiao Xingchen." Lan Sizhui said.

Jin Ling insisted, "You must have played it wrong or misinterpreted it, right?"

Lan Tian shook their head. "I can confirm that is who he said killed him. It's hard to mistake Xiao Xingchen as it's very distinct."

"It doesn't matter. Ask, who is controlling him." Wei Wuxian told Lan Sizhui.

Everyone's eyes were glued to the trio waiting for a response. "The. One. Behind. You." As Lan Sizhui interpreted the notes word by word, Lan Tian was already on his feet sword pointed at Xiao Xingchen.

By the time everyone else turned to him, he was propping up his head on the ground smiling. He raised his gloved hand and snapped his fingers.

Song Lan thrusted up pushing the paper doll of him and brandishing his sword.

"Don't move, don't add to the problem. When it comes to swordplay, everyone here combined would still not be a match for this... Song Lan." Wei Wuxian warned the juniors.

Lan Tian and Wei Wuxian both knew they were outmatched as it stood currently, especially if they had to protect the other juniors.

Xiao Xingchen said, "The adults are talking. Why don't you kids go out?"

Song Lan began bearding the juniors out and Lan Tian instinctively grabbed Jin Ling's hand.

"Ah, not you." Xiao Xingchen pointed at Lan Tian as he was pushed back in the room by Somg Lan.

The clan juniors tried to protest but knew they could do nothing to help. "Sizhui, you're the most sensible here. Take the lead and guide them. I trust you... can you do that?" Lan Tian asked.

Wei Wuxian added, "Don't be scared."

"I'm not scared," Lan Sizhui said.

"Really?"

"Really." With that Lan Sizhui laughed addressing Wei Wuxian, "Qianbei, you and Hanguang-jun are so alike."

Wei Wuxian was amazed but Lan Tian just smiled, "alike how?"

The juniors fully exited and Xiao Xingchen took a red pill and swallowed it. "Such a moving display."

Once he took the pill the purple colour of his face faded back to normal, "Corpse toxins antidote?" Wei Wuxian asked.

"Yes," Xiao Xingchen replied, "Much more effective than your congee, tastes better too."

"Good performance. You almost had me fooled." Lan Tian commented. "Was it all an act for us?"

Xiao Xingchen wagged a finger. "It wasn't for 'you' plural." He pointed at Wei Wuxian, "It was for your eyes only. Very pleased to meet you, Yiling Patriarch. Yo are even more formidable than they say."

Wei Wuxian neutrally asked, "Then why keep Lan Tian here too?"

Xiao Xingchen scoffed, "Oh no this was only meant for you originally, that kid of yours was just an added bonus."

Lan Tian's eyebrows creased for a moment before they schooled their expression back to neutral.

Xiao Xingchen continued, "Let me guess. You still haven't told anyone about either of your little secrets. That's why I didn't even expose you. I told them to go out so we can talk privately behind cloaked doors. What do you think? Aren't I considerate?"

"You're the one commanding all the walking corpses in Yi City?" Wei Wuxian questioned.

"Of course." axial Xingchen replied. "I sensed something strange about you two so I just had to come and investigate it myself."

"So what do you want from holding a bunch of kids hostage?" Lan Tian pushed.

Coal Xingchen chuckled. "I just want to ask qianbei for a favour. A small favour."

Lan Tian watched as Wei Wuxian examined a spirit trapping pouch he put on the table.

"Whose soul is this? It's so shattered that not even glue could piece it together." Wei Wuxian asked.

"We'll if it was that easy why would I ask you?" Xiao Xingchen explained.

"You want me to restore this? Excuse my bluntness but the scant bit of soul in here is just not enough. Besides, this person must have been tortured relentlessly and subject to unspeakable pain. They likely don't want to return which makes this most likely unsalvageable. If I took it out it would dissipate in a moments notice.

"I don't care." Xiao Xingchen said. "Don't forget, those kids are all out side the door. Beside of you won't do it there one other person that could." He looked at Lan Tian smirking.

"Um, no." Lan Tian said, "I wouldn't even know how to do it! I don't do this kinda stuff."

Wei Wuxian chuckled, "You are also more formidable than they say, sir. Xue Yang, you're a perfectly fine thug, so why masquerade as a cultivator?"

There was pause then the man removed the bandage over his eyes.

A pair of perfectly intact eyes revealed themselves. "Oops you found out." Xue Yang tossed the bandage aside.

"Wow such a good act." Wei Wuxian commented.

"I knew there was something wrong about you." Lan Tian muttered.

When Song Lan said "The one behind you." It gave up Xue Yang as he would have worded it differently if Xiao Xingchen was the same person.

"You flatter me," Xue Yang replied. "All right enough chatter. Wei-qianbei, you have to help me with this."

"You restored half the Yin Tiger Tally, can't you do this?" Wei Wuxian asked.

"That's different, and it's not nearly as strong as it was before. Honestly it's barely half the strength of that piece you left in that child." Xue Yang motioned towards a confused and stunned Lan Tian.

"What lies are you spouting now you bastard!" Lan Tian rationed. "He's making it up right? You didn't... you... Wei Wuxian?"

With tears spilling out their eyes, Lan Tian searched Wei Wuxian's face for any sign that this crazy man was wrong. Lan Tian's heart broke as Wei Wuxian just looked down and away from him.

"You did what?" A small pulse of wind blew through the room originating from Lan Tian. "Oh no... no, no, no, no..." Lan Tian stared down at his hands as they began to collect a dark aura of clouds.

Suddenly the doors bursted open and a black shadow darted in.

Wei Wuxian and Xue Yang backed away from the square table at the same time, Xue Yang snatched the pouch before it was out of reach. Wei Wuxian glanced back at Lan Tian who was now on his knees muttering to themselves.