Tree Part 1

WC: 1255

They arrived in Yunmeng just before dawn.

Lotus Pier's main gates and dock were so brightly illuminated that their reflection danced along the water gleaming in golden light. Though Lan Tian had been to Yunmeng a few times, they never saw it like this.

Jin Ling glanced over to the other boats when he caught a glimpse of Lan Tian leaning over the front of the boat with their eyes wide. He could faintly see the reflection of the main gates through their round golden eyes. The closer the boats grew to the dock, the bigger Lan Tian's smile got as they could see the gates in more detail leaving them breathless. Jin Ling chuckled to himself as he watched the only view he ever wanted to see.

Jiang Cheng was the first to disembark. He gave a few orders to the guards, and countless fully geared disciples immediately poured out of the main gates. The crowd disembarked in batches, and the guest cultivators form the Jiang Sect arranged for them to enter. Wei Wuxian and Lan Wangji walked out of the cabin and dragged Lan Tian off the boat.

"Gongzi," Wen Ning called out. "I'll wait for you outside."

Lan Tian moved to follow Wen Ning when Lan Sizhui spoke up. "Mister Wen, I'll keep you company."

"You will?" Wen Ning exclaimed in delight. Lan Tian smiled softly before changing course for the main gates.

As he walked though the glowing gates, Lan Tian couldn't help but admire the simplicity of it all. Even though it had been a few years, Lotus Pier was almost exactly as they remembered it. Sure a few things were built or taken down but it was still in it's essence the exact same.

Lan Wangji gave Lan Tian a look and they quickly left him and Wei Wuxian to follow the other juniors. They were all taken to places to wash up and change but Lan Tian just sat outside the room. Either way if they went in, they knew someone was going to yell at them like always, so it was easier to stay away.

Jin Ling quickly cleaned up and changed into a new set of close before setting out to find Lan Tian. He knew they hated changing and washing up in public spaces, so he made sure to find a place that he thought was perfect after the last time they came to Lotus Pier. He made his way to the accommodations for the other juniors but when he asked around no one had seen Lan Tian. It's not like he expected them to be any help in the beginning but if they could've at least pointed him in the right direction then his night would be a lot shorter.

After checking everywhere he could think of, Jin Ling went to his usual thinking spot. It was a tall dark oak tree that sat near one of the roads to Lotus Pier. To his surprise a dark figure was lying on one of branches admiring the night sky.

"For some reason it feels like I'm getting deja vu. We must never stop meeting like this my liege." Jin Ling gave a large bow before climbing the tree to sit beside the figure.

"I'm surprised this tree's still here. It feels like it's been forever since we first met Jinjin." Lan Tian moved over so they could both stare at the sky perpendicular to each other.

Jin Ling laughed, " They wanted to but I stopped them. After all, who's gonna say no to an orphan."

Lan Tian sat up to look at Jin Ling. "It's really nice having this here. The tree makes me feel like as long as it's here, we'll be here too. Together."

"Nah, I think we can out last this tree by a long shot." Jin Ling smiled.

"I've been thinking. If for whatever reason, I die and inhabit a new body like Wei Wuxian, then promise you'll wait for me here. Okay? You'll know it's me because I'll take you straight to this tree and I'll make you climb it with me." Lan Tian began to move as they stared into Jin Ling's eyes, "Then, just as I'm doing now, I'll slowly climb over to your branch, brush your hair out of your face, all while staring into your eyes and hovering over you ever so slightly, before I smile asking you, 'Can I kiss you?'"

Jin Ling began shrinking at Lan Tian's intense gaze as they memorized every inch of his face, "If your asking, then of course yes." he mumbled gazing away while covering his face slightly.

Lan Tian chuckled before continuing, "After, and only after, I've received your consent, I will lightly grasp your face bringing your eyes to look into mine, as I slowly bend down and embrace you." The pair's faces were just barely apart as Jin Ling moved up to meet them, Lan Tian pulled away with a big smirk.

"What's wrong?" Jin Ling asked.

Lan Tian laughed, "I told you already, I'd only do it after I get in that situation. To me it still looks like I'm in the same body."

A devilish glint shined in Lan Tian's eyes as they slowly looked over Jin ling's disheveled state and memorized inch of him. "THAT'S NO FAIR!" Jin Ling sat up trying to regain his composure.

"What's unfair? Did it bother you that much?" Lan Tian sat up ginning at Jin Ling, thoroughly enjoying every moment.

A small smile flashed on Jin Ling's face as he leapt forward to now be the one leaning on top of Lan Tian. "You're so mean sometimes you know." He said mimicking Lan Tian's tone from earlier.

Lan Tian raised an eyebrow before locking eyes with Jin Ling, "How so?"

"You know I'm completely and madly enchanted by everything about you but you still have to go on and provoke me." Lan Tian's face grew red as Jin Ling began talking with a sense of confidence and assurance that they'd never heard before. "Your every touch leaves me wanting more. The way you laugh, smile, stare at nature when no one's looking, the way you secretly want to understand everything and anything that has ever happened but act like you couldn't care less. All of, all of it makes me fall more in... love with you, Lan Tian, everyday."

Jin Ling's right hand made it's way to Lan Tian's hand as they interlocked fingers, "Jin Ling..." Lan Tian's breath hitched and their eyes grew wide as the word 'love' finally reached their ears.

"I wish that every time we're together I could just block out the rest of the world. When people are mean to you I wish I could lock you away where they could never find you, because they never deserved to ever meet you anyways. Most of all, I wish I could be with you forever, and never have to leave your side." Jin Ling began to lower his head towards Lan Tian as they closed their eyes, "But for now, I'll have to settle with just being able to have these small moments together away from the rest of the world." Jin Ling lightly placed his forehead on Lan Tian's as their eyes fluttered open to meet his.

Lan Tian reached up to cradle the back of Jin Ling's head, "I love you too, my perfect pair, Jin Ling, more than anything else in this plain of existence and the next.."