CHAPTER THREE

KEILEE

I watch him scurry away. What happened to him? What was that scared look he had in his eyes? Are the questions his spontaneous departure leaves me with.

Feeling starved, I decide to head back home. After parking my car, I tread through the entrance of The Celine.

"Hey Cheyanne." I greet our concierge. "Hello love." She circles her brown desk to meet me, dressed in dress pants and a crisp, white button down shirt.

Cheyanne has been my friend ever since I moved here. However, her thoughts on my singleness are a reflection of Kira's. "Met anyone today?" She winks. "Preferably a love interest?"

"Well..." I start.

"Are you blushing?" She cuts me off, her blue eyes bright.

"No." I refute swiftly. "I met a cute guy. That's it."

"And?" See, typical Kira behavior.

"And nothing. I'm too ugly for him."

She puts an arm around my back. "Do not ever say that about yourself again. You are the most beautiful and smart girl I have ever met and if anyone thinks otherwise, they can fight me.

"I am so happy you have a crush. Besides, you never know what tomorrow holds." She adds in her motherly tone.

"Thank you Annie." I give her a small hug before heading for the elevator.

"Welcome home Keilee. You have two missed calls from Dad and two Instagram notifications." My virtual assistant voices as I step into my house.

"Thank you Rae." Although I was hell-bent on ignoring those two things.

My penthouse is decorated in a luxurious style and high end furnishings. The walls are painted a dark grey to match the travertine flooring. The spacious living room spans an L shaped sofa, TV on top of the fireplace and large windows flood the living room with light.

Just as I plop down on the sofa, a clicking sound resonates from my door.

"Honey. I'm home" Kira shouts.

"I'm starting to question why I gave you my key."

"I brought food."

"On second thought, you're welcome here anytime." My stomach growls in agreement. Kira plummets beside me, setting the food on the table.

"Are we eating or do you plan on letting us smell the food till we get full?" I prod her in the ribs. She laughs. "Okay we'll eat. Don't tickle me."

"Bring me a drink while you're at it." I plead.

"Damn lazy." She mumbles, stalking towards my kitchen. I smile knowing she'll bring it anyway.

I scan the TV to find something to watch. "Your Royal Highness, here's your mimosa." Kira stands beside me, her head bowed. "Thank you my humble servant" I say in between laughs.

My unsalaried servant, that I make a mental note to pay with warm hugs later, sets two plates on the coffee table.

She serves our food and joins me on the couch. "Jal meokkessumnida." Kira says the words I've grown accustomed to. I will eat well

"So how did it go with Darelle?" There's a stretchy silence before I say "He needed my help with something."

"Is it illegal?" I'm not surprised that's the first thing she asks.

"It sort of is but that's all I can say. I promised not to tell." I say softly.

She nods, understandingly. "I respect that. But please be careful and if it gets ugly you drop it. I know how attached you can get." Her eyebrows draw together in a knot of worry.

"I promise. Besides, what could go wrong anyway?" I'm sure I've dealt with worse. Kira purses her lips in doubt but doesn't nag.

"So what are we doing tonight?"

"Watching Lucifer." I announce.

"Of course you choose Lucifer."

"What? He's cute and British, you know I'm a sucker for their accent."

"He is married bestie." She reminds me for the millionth time but hey, I believe in reincarnation. "Add stalking to that list."

"Who are we stalking?" I ask as she removes the dishes from the table.

She comes back with a bottle of wine and plops right on to my lap. "Jesus Kira! What the hell have you been eating?"

"Good dick?" She answers quizzically. We both snort and break into laughter. It's never a dull moment when I'm with my best friend. She is my soulmate.

After our laughter dies down, she gets off my lap and reaches for my phone. "We are going to stalk your crush. Darelle is it?"

"He's not my crush and why are we using my phone?" I complain.

"So that whenever you feel like seeing him you can just go to your search bar and you'll find his name. Trust me you'll thank me later."

"Never gonna happen." I mutter. She gives me the 'don't be so sure' look. "Found him!" She squeals, showing me his account.

"Girl, you've been talking to a celebrity."

"No way. Lemme see." I snatch the phone from her to take a closer look. "Is he a celebrity? Beats me"

Kira astoundingly gazes at me. "I have Patrick Star as my best friend."

"Thanks SpongeBob." I say sarcastically. I really had no idea he is a celebrity. And now that I think of it, I thought him familiar but not from being a celeb, it has to be from somewhere else.

"Anyway your Darelle is a model" She continues looking through his feed. "Oh and he is dating...." she says the last part in a small voice.

"Dating Madison Crapper. Thee Madison Crapper." Her tone is astonished. Now her, I can say I know. "He is?" I murmur. If Madison is his type, then I never stood a chance with him.

"Well, it was fine while it lasted." Kira attempts to light up the edgy mood. He was just a crush. One that I intend to forget about soon. But why do I have this empty feeling in my chest, like I just lost him before I even had him.

Get it together Keilee. You've only seen the man twice. You're basically still strangers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"If you were given a chance to go to heaven who would you want to meet the most?" Kira slurs, her head resting on my shoulder. It's already dark outside. We're wrapped up in a comforter on the couch, slightly drunk.

"I think I'd like to meet Lot" I mumble almost incoherently.

"Why?" she asks.

"So that at the dinner table I can tell him to pass me the salt" I say and we break into a hysterical laughter.

"I see you'll be taking your dark humor with you then" Kira teases when our laughter subsides.

"Always baby always." It's moments like these with Kira that mean the most to me. I never feel lonely or even miss her.