CHAPTER NINETEEN

By the time I get down to the lobby, I'm still smiling to myself. Flustering Zuri is proving to be an addicting task. The blue eyed concierge gives me a long look but otherwise says nothing.

For the first time in a while, I'm optimistic that maybe when all is said and done, I'll triumph over my monsters and pursue my own route. Hopefully with Zuri by my side. One can only dream.

Though I'm not sure if my noxious demons will ever submit to her angels. Even so, demons are fallen angels.

Today, I brought my car. Imagine my surprise when I found the keys on the kitchen counter with no Madison in sight. Perhaps it's a trap but I didn't have time to dwell on that

When I left the house, the paparazzo was already having a field day with our supposed 'looming engagement.' It doesn't take a genius to know the lengths Madison would go to just to be relevant. She lives up to her influencer role. Inside source my foot.

If only they knew there's much more behind the failed engagement. I would have as easily told Zuri the whole story but my paranoia held me back even though she's grown to be the most trustworthy person in my life. Would she believe me? Would the society believe me? Does the law work the same if the roles are reversed?

Some secrets are worth dying with. It can hurt me, suffocate me but I've lived with it for the past six months what's eternity?

I get into my black mustang and drive home. When you're in my situation, you don't have much of a social life. If not the paparazzi, then it's your 'girlfriend.'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"You're home." I say to Madison as I remove my shoes at the door. She sits on the couch in only my oversized t-shirt watching one of those basketball wives reality show. She's never home this early.

"Sure why don't we state the obvious, Sherlock?" She rolls her eyes. "Where the fuck were you?"

"Um," I rack my brain for an excuse. "fresh air." I clip.

"We have a balcony that's all the fresh air you need." She snaps, standing up from the couch and walking towards me, tapping her chin thoughtfully. "Do you take me for a fool, Darelle?"

I run a tired hand through my face. "Madison for the love of God I'm not in the mood for this."

"Should I have to bring out the knife again?" She strikes my weakest point and all I can do is deflate back into my cocoon. Flashes of the last time she brought out a knife combined with the images of my marred skin invade my senses. She is the epitome of my nightmares and she owns it. Much to my disgust.

When I remain silent, she continues to prod. "That's what I fucking thought." She begins dragging her hand over my chest an action that streels a disgusted shiver out of me but of course she takes it as an invite for more. She hooks her arm around my neck. "Tell me who is this Keilee bitch to you?"