CHAPTER EIGHT

DARELLE

I breathe a sigh of relief when a phone ring cuts through the tension. One more minute and the mask I've been putting on would've fallen.

When I told her I was busy with work, I lied. How do you explain to someone that your girlfriend forbade you from leaving the house and that includes going to work?

Today though, Madison's out of town and I took that chance. I made sure nobody followed me here. My phone's location is off too. I know it's risky but I'm willing to take Madison's wrath provided in the long run my family remains safe.

I'll always be grateful to Zuri for agreeing to this even if the bags under her eyes are a clear indication of her own struggles. Consequently, meeting in private was the best option. I'm a celebrity, pictures spread and Zuri deserves better than to be dragged into my mess.

"Hey Kira." She speaks into the phone. "I'm at home. Why?"

Her brows crease in confusion. "I didn't know."

"It's okay. Thanks for letting me know." Her voice is low as she hangs up and throws the phone aimlessly on the coffee table.

"Everything okay?"

She presses her lips together tightly. "Remind me how long murder sentences are."

"Why?"

"Because I swear to God I'm gonna murder Roach."

I slide to the edge of the couch, aiming to be near her. "Woah! Hassle down killer girl. What happened?"

"People are at work and I'm not."

"And why do you think it's his fault?"

"You've met the man. Trust me I'm not high on his love list, if I'm in it at all. This is not the first time people have gone to work on a Saturday and I wasn't informed. Our head of department is as useless as the letter k in knife so Roach calls most of the shots in our department and that includes working overtime."

"Being an asshole is his hobby."

A tiny smile extends on her lips. "See, we agree on a lot." That we do indeed. "Let's get started." I place my phone on her stretched hand.

"Please tell me what we're doing here will implicate Roach in some way." She plugs my phone into the laptop.

"It will." I leave it at that. She doesn't need to know the person sending the texts is connected to him. When I went to him I thought he'd do the right thing as a cop but corrupt is corrupt.

"I have an inkling you have an idea of who's sending these texts." She states, curiosity mudding her tone

"Yeah." Is all I give up. The less she knows the safer she'll be and the better I can keep my secret.

I watch in despair as Zuri's eyes skim through the texts that have been sitting in my inbox for days if not weeks. Her soft features harden and a knot of anxiety expands in my stomach.

Her mouth opens slightly in a frown. "Are you sure we should be messing around with this person?" There goes the doubt I was afraid she'd have after reading the texts.

"He'll hurt them." I manage.

"Then just do whatever he wants." She argues. As if it's that easy.

I stand up abruptly. "If you want to back out, I'll understand but don't sit there and tell me to do what he wants because you have no idea." Acid creeps into my tone.