CHAPTER SIXTEEN

I wake up to an empty bed

I wake up to an empty bed. I wouldn't be surprised if Darelle felt guilt for sharing a bed with another woman.

You knew he had a girlfriend.

Wrong as my suggestion may have been, a selfish part of me relished in not being alone for once in ten years. I mean I've had Kira on speed dial for as long as I can remember but it tames in comparison to a man caring for you. Caring men are hard to come by lately, so excuse me if I enjoyed the few hours a tad bit more than I should've.

However much I loved the few hours, unshakable boundaries must be drawn. Madison is a bitch but the fact of the matter is she doesn't deserve getting cheated on or whatever this is.

I catch a whiff of something delicious. My guardian angels must be lagging on their job if my demons have finally decided to have their fun in my kitchen. And for all I know it can't be Kira because she couldn't boil water for shit.

My bedroom door creaks open and Darelle walks in with a tray of food. Oh my God am I in heaven? Somebody show me my sit because if they serve breakfast in bed by handsome men then I intend to make this my permanent home.

"Good morning." He greets once he's close enough.

"Good morning." I reply ripping my bonnet from my head. In his hands, is a tray full of coffee, bacon, scrambled eggs, toasted bread, a glass of water and Advil.

I give him a surprised look. "You know you didn't have to do all this right?"

His response is a shrug followed by a drop of the tray to my nightstand. He then plops right next to me, the mattress dipping under his weight.

Yester night I was so drunk on sadness I barely had a chance to appreciate how good he looks in sweatpants. Goddamn this man.

The need for a distraction combined with the hunger weighing down on me pushes me to bring grab the black coffee.

"Did you sleep well?" I ask taking a small sip from the aromatic coffee.

"Yeah. You?"

"I managed." I say quietly.

Concern knots his face. "Wanna talk about it?" He asks carefully.

I don't know what prompts me to say the next words but they just slip out of my mouth. "Ten years ago, I watched my mom get shot and I couldn't do anything about it." It's a long story but that's one way to put it.

I refrain from looking at Darelle because I'm scared of the pity look he'll give me. He trusts me so much with his case and the last thing I want is for him to watch me breakdown when I'm supposed to be his support system. But then again I guess we're already past that considering the massive breakdown I had yester night. Christ, how did my finger even end up on his name? This is so embarrassing.

Turns out it's all in my head because the next thing I feel is his hand go around my shoulders. "Oh Keilee, I'm so sorry. Did she-"

"Die on the spot? No." I clarify. "When the thugs left I managed to call an ambulance"